Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WK 5.7 Auto cruise control/traction control

DILLIGARA

Geri Atric
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman V8
Hi

Having problems with my cruise control.
When I go over a rough patch of bitumen the cruise control unsets - still on but not active.
If I turn traction control off the cruise control will stay on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am an 'old fart' and not familiar with anything that doesn't have a carby and points....

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi DILLIGARA

I guess you give something of a Rats if you are on here hahaha. Firstly welcome.

In relation to your problem. From my understanding the cruise control and traction control capabilites operate independently of each other . Cruise control is managed by the Powertrain Interface Module and traction control is managed through the Electronic Control Unit (ECU). For simolicity sake let's say that the traction control system (TCS) operates under acceleration to prevent wheel spin and under deceleration to prevent wheel slip.

The only real crossover between the two systems is the brake pedal switch - this deactivates cruise control when when opened and if at any time in traction control mode the brakes are manually applied, the brake switch sends a signal to the ECU to exit the TCS brake intervention mode and allow for manual braking.

I would focus on the brake switches at the pedal. The switch (S220) has three normally closed and one normally open switch in the one module. I suspect that the pedal may not have the right spring pressure and bounces around a little opening/closing the switches over a rough patch of ground. The best way to test the system beyond that is checking the live data with a Tech 2 to see what is happening.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited: