Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WK Caprice - 6 stacker stuck on mute

DezzaCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
Hello, first ever post so.... yeah.

I have been trying for a week or so to resolve an audio issue in my newly aquired WK Caprice. The audio is stuck on phone mute - if I turn it up full volume then I can hear the radio/CD/DVD faintly.

First time I got sound out of it for about 5 seconds was mucking about with the Holden Assist on the mirror. Then nothing again.

I have investigated the phone in on the left side of the console - there had been a bodgy splice in job that was done so I cut the whole plug (with some excess) and BOOM - had perfect audio for about 24 hours. Thought the issue was resolved and happy days.
Missus then drove over a bump whilst we had the audio on and its back to mute.....

No matter what I do I cannot get the audio to return, I have since removed the head unit, centre console and part of the dash to chase the wiring - its all bound up pretty tight and I have been unable to locate anything that looks like it might be the cause. I have tried to remove the glove box as I believe the telematics module should be located behind it - haven't been able to get the glove box off....

The diagram on top of the head unit identifies the TEL MUTE pin etc - ive tried disconnecting and reconnecting this - no luck.

Anyone got any ideas on where to from here - to me the head unit is getting a signal that makes it think a phone is connected - however nothing comes up on the display. I'm no electrical expert but it must be that a wire is grounding somewhere, is there a way to bypass or splice the TEL MUTE to see if it resolves - or rule it out. Otherwise Im thinking it may be the unit.

Alternatively, anyone in WA got a head unit I can borrow for a few cold ones to see if it IS the head unit that is the problem....