Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wk caprice climate control issue

Jacob1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
with the climate control on in my wk caprice. with the fan on any setting and air on the main face vents ive found that sometimes the air will reroute to the windscreen. Ive also noticed it only happens when driving up a hill in top gear (auto). The issue usually clears once the car isnt climbing the hill or if i bring it back to 3rd gear. Makes me think its a vacuum issue as im sure the climate control units rely on vacuum from the engine. Any ideas?

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
100% sounds like a vacuum leak to me, either insufficient vacuum for the system as a whole, a failed check valve or there is a vacuum pod with a torn/cracked diaphragm.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yeah theres a number of threads on this issue - its common across the VY range and into the VZ range.

This topic probably has the best info throughout it

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-demister-when-uphill-grade-vacuum-issue.html

Theres a vacuum solenoid under the radio area that controls the air flow to the windscreen. The internal rubber diaphram shreads itself causing a vacuum leak. Under heavy engine load (like going hard off a set of lights or up a hill) the pressure must build and it flicks the vent til the pressures released (back off throttle / top of hill).

Had it in my WK a year ago - changed that solenoid and havent had an issue since.