Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wk Caprice Driveline Shudder

tommy4711

Reaction score
Members Ride
wk caprice
Hi Guys

I have a shudder that i just cannot identify the source.
It happens through first and second gear and only occurs if there is just over 30% acceleration there more throttle the more the shudder. it occurs from about 1800rpm through to 2700 roughly.
I have since replaced the center bearing and that has really cut the shudder back down, then i thought it must be the rubber couplings, mine were cracked. So i replaced them it made no difference.
It's not the trans slipping and its not an engine mount the vibration is defiantly something rotational.
I took it into pedders they said i need new shocks and also the rubbers under the crossmember are split and broken..

So my questions has anyone encountered this problem before where the cross member mounts caused a shudder.. I can understand what pedders are telling me that the diff could move back and forth causing a shudder.. however even going hard into a corner the shudder does not change. i would have thought loading the diff up in a hard corner would stop it moving enough to lessen the shudder..

Any advice would be great. id really like to avoid throwing parts at this constantly till the problem is fixed..

I can only assume there is getting a fair bit of movement around the tail shaft otherwise the centerbearing would not have made such a difference when i changed it..

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Im really interested in this as well.
I have just bought a WK LS1 Statesman and it has the same issue - a shudder at 25-40kmh.
Doesnt change whether cornering, driving in the wet or in any other condition.
I too assumed it would be the tail shaft rubber but im not so sure at this point.

tommy4711

Reaction score
Members Ride
wk caprice
Im really interested in this as well.
I have just bought a WK LS1 Statesman and it has the same issue - a shudder at 25-40kmh.
Doesnt change whether cornering, driving in the wet or in any other condition.
I too assumed it would be the tail shaft rubber but im not so sure at this point.

I replaced the rubber couplings, they had small splits in them. made no difference what so ever.. the only thing I have not done on the tail shaft is had it balanced however its never taken a hit, so I assume it is something else.. I have got a new set of shocks an cross member mounts, I will fit them later this week.. I find it unlikey to be axle tramp from worn shocks and I dont think the diff gets movement out of the cross member mounts to cause this vibration.. if there was no vibration in hard cornering I would assume its a diff shudder. either way I'm running out of parts I can replace

I'll let you know what happens later in the

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman

tommy4711

Reaction score
Members Ride
wk caprice
I checked the uni joint when i changed the center bearing, it had no play in it felt pretty solid.. I have noticed with U-joints they seem to create more high speed vibration than low, But i have been told if its a front u-joint it can cause more low speed vibration.. So i might have to pull it back out put in a new one and see if that makes a difference.
I replaced the shocks they were f#cked but as i expected it made no difference to the shudder.

tommy4711

Reaction score
Members Ride
wk caprice
Much appreciated.
This shudder doesnt make sense - it only happens at low speed.
If something needed balancing, in theory it would be much worse at higher speeds.
Im willing to bet that this has been experienced and resolved by many - surely it cant just be 2 WKs.

Just found this - could be it?
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-ss-2000-shaking-shuddering-acceleration.html

You were right, front uni joint was worn. I checked it off the car and i couldnt notice any play, i jacked the car up left it in park and turned the rear wheel by hand and could see the front lock then it would have a slight bit more movement in the rear half of the shaft at the joint.

The worst part is replacement cost. Hardy spicer will make you a whole new tailshaft with servicable joints for $550, they take your tailshaft cut the 2 end sections off and build a whole new tailshaft.

Takes 3-4 days....

So hopefully this is the same problem you are having and it will save you replacing every other part that is not neccasary.. also when they make you a new shaft they put a new center bearing in...

Nothing worse than throwing parts at a problem till its solved..

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
So the shudder is all gone?
The uni joints are replaceable at all?

tommy4711

Reaction score
Members Ride
wk caprice
So the shudder is all gone?
The uni joints are replaceable at all?

Yeah and yeah..
The reason i could not do it, they have staked joints. I called hardy spicer again and got another guy who said they would restake them. I pulled the shaft out they charge 150 to replace the joint then another 150 to balance it..

If i was you i would try just find a good second hand shaft and throw it in.. Im pretty pissed i wasted money with the rubber joints, shocks and control arm rubbers..

Just replace the whole shaft if you can find one.. i have seen them on ebay for $80 used.

And don't listen to pedders all the **** they told me to replace when i pulled it out to inspect it, there was nothing wrong with it.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
So i ended up buying a reco tailshaft that had a new centre bearing and was balanced as well.
Fitted it up today and the shudder is completely gone.
Thanks for your help.

Hugh Tamatea

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 holden statesman v6
Hi Guys

I have a shudder that i just cannot identify the source.
It happens through first and second gear and only occurs if there is just over 30% acceleration there more throttle the more the shudder. it occurs from about 1800rpm through to 2700 roughly.
I have since replaced the center bearing and that has really cut the shudder back down, then i thought it must be the rubber couplings, mine were cracked. So i replaced them it made no difference.
It's not the trans slipping and its not an engine mount the vibration is defiantly something rotational.
I took it into pedders they said i need new shocks and also the rubbers under the crossmember are split and broken..

So my questions has anyone encountered this problem before where the cross member mounts caused a shudder.. I can understand what pedders are telling me that the diff could move back and forth causing a shudder.. however even going hard into a corner the shudder does not change. i would have thought loading the diff up in a hard corner would stop it moving enough to lessen the shudder..

Any advice would be great. id really like to avoid throwing parts at this constantly till the problem is fixed..

I can only assume there is getting a fair bit of movement around the tail shaft otherwise the centerbearing would not have made such a difference when i changed it..