Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WK Caprice Electrical Issues

Enigmatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
Hey guys I'm new here,

I've just taken ownership of a WK Caprice 5.7 model

When I start the car, it displays on the dash, ABS failed, SRS failed along with a check engine signal and a few other things.

I've inherited the car and my uncle, the previous owner, says he's had it looked at and the car will work fine regardless of these things taking place.

I can verify that as I picked it up today and drove it over 300Kms back to my city.

The other faults I could find electrically were as follows:

The climate control, I had it set to forward facing fans, but whenever I accelerated (never exceeding 2000revs) it switched to windscreen vents. I had to turn the climate control off and back on for it to blow forwards again.

Then the CD Deck/Radio doesn't work when the car is running, but it does while it is stationary....it has a superbly oldschool bluetooth unit wired in so I suspect that has something to do with it.....but even when stationary the head unit won't accept CD's NOTE: (I want to keep the car as close to standard as possible, so an after market head unit isn't an option for me, I wan't everything that is stock to be working 100% again)

(This is all secondary: The DVD player and screens don't work, I suspect wiring issues due to the cars age, I will get around to investigating though)

Keep in mind, this car was an ex Premier of States car, then it went on to do a stint with a limo company and then my uncle got it who used it as an exclusive taxi car.

The car has 450,000Km's on the clock....I plan on rebuilding the engine and getting any subsequent electrical work done.

Most of the rest of the car has either been repaired or replaced over the last 5 years.

Sorry for the novel guys, any help is muchly appreciated!!!

Cheers
Enigmatic

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Your climate control issue sounds like a vacuum problem. Check all the thin vacuum hoses in the engine bay, especially the one connected to the rear of the intake manifold and the one one the heater tap. Check their condition and that they are connected properly.
You will need to get it scanned to find the cause of the ABS, SRS and engine lights.
Check the alternator voltage, if it's too high it can cause some of those faults.