Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WK LS1 Caprice - Trans Cooler clarification

JimmyS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK Statesman L67
G'day ladies and gents,

Wanting to get a trans cooler for my 2003 WK Caprice with the LS1 - now I've got the PWR trans oil cooler in mind, but I've noticed some talk about towing packages for holdens of this model, and what they came with, along with a heap of confusion.

my WK appears to have come with a factory tow bar, as it has the Holden symbol on it, would this mean it came with a trans cooler? It doesn't appear to have one.
There is a little bottle on the left side of the radiator, I don't suppose this is anything of the sort? What is it anyway? I'm damn curious! Pics attached below:
cap1.JPG
cap2.JPG

But yea, got the standard 4L60E trans, if its the original trans, it has 237,000ks on it, and I'm wanting to give it some more life before it shits itself, though it doesn't show any signs of doing so.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They do suffer from heat so it's a good idea to fit one. Just make sure you keep the factory cooler through the rad and don't bypass it. You can get overheating and under-heating problems if you do.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
That bottle is part of the air con system know as the drier, any external trans cooler from factory would mount up to those 2 metal brackets in your 2nd image. Trans cooler was an additional option to the towing package

VP1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Thats an AC dryer.

A PWR kit are really good. Definetly worth the coin if your going to keep the car

JimmyS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK Statesman L67
Thanks all for your inputs, much appreciated.

I've gone with a VY PWR trans cooler - been advised it fits the WK LS1 just fine, makes sense that it should
I plan to keep this machine for years - it's cost me thousands to get it up to standard.

JimmyS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK Statesman L67
Thats an AC dryer.

A PWR kit are really good. Definetly worth the coin if your going to keep the car

AC dryer - cheers.

What experiences do you have with the PWR trans coolers if you don't mind me asking?

VP1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
I have put an external cooler on my WK ls1. Havnt had a problem in 30k kms

The kit is really good with all the bits you need - It takes a couple of hours to install, just chilling and taking your time

the kit costs a few hundred in comparison to replacing the gearbox. Just remember to top up the gearbox oil after you have finished. Good luck with the install

JimmyS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK Statesman L67
So, it's been fitted.
Works perfectly fine, started the car at the mechanics, no weird sounds.
Though, once the car starts to heat up, it makes a slight "whirrrrrring" noise when I rev the car, not a pleasant noise, sounds a bit like having a blower on it, but not as nice sounding.
Any idea what this could be? Didn't overheat or anything, just a very annoying noise.