Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WL 5.7L V8 Low idle

D-Renzow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice & VQ Stato
Hey guys,

Pulled out my battery yesterday from my caprice to put in another of my cars to start up for someone to look at (hopefully buy)

couldnt b F'd putting it back in straight away,bout an hour later i finaly did then when i started the car it idles at about 500rpm in park and nuetural and even lower around 400rpm in gear..

figured it had just reset the computer so let it run for a bit, turn it on n off a few times with a few minuites inbetween, even went 4 a drive for half hour, still the same low idle.

doesnt run rough or affect its performance (if anything fell a bit better and the fuel economy is slightly greater)

just if i rev it out of gear the rpm will go up, then down and stall (only did that twice) after that it almost stalls but recovers, if driving at over about 60km/h and i ahad to suddenly stop (idiot cut me off) the rpm drops slowly then almost stalls then back to 400ish...

any ideas? done about 80kms since it started and still them same..

Cheers David

Jakep

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wl statesman
Hi David,

Did you find the solution to this problem? I have the exact same thing at the moment? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Jake

Agro57

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SS
The same thing is happening in my vz ute

spatzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
yeeep, happening to my VZ SS aswell.... I got the computer remapped but that didn't help. I'll be taking it to holden tomorrow as it's an ex cop car so I think it may have had the computer set differently

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
yeeep, happening to my VZ SS aswell.... I got the computer remapped but that didn't help.

if you mean a tune it should have solved this problem, maybe your cars need to relearn the idle........

PCM reset Proceduce

Motor at operationing temperature a MUST

1.Turn ignition ON
2. Model VT Remove PCM/BCM fuse number 4 which is F31 Note: for VX,VU ,V2 remove fuse F29 10amp Eng Cont/BCM

3.Wait 20 seconds for the Car to chime to you.
4. Turn ignition OFF.
5.Model VT Replace PCM/BCM fuse 4 which is F31 Note: for VX,VU ,V2 remove fuse F29 10amp Eng Cont/BCM
6. Proceed to the idle learn Procedure.

CLEARING THE DTCS
To clear a current diagnostic trouble code from the memory of the PCM, the PCM power feed must be disconnected
for at least ten (20) seconds, or the Tech 2 scan tool must be used. The battery power feed can be disconnected
by:
• Disconnecting the negative battery terminal
• Removing the Fuse F31 in the engine compartment fuse/relay panel.

CLEARING THE DTC HISTORY CODE
The Tech 2 scan tool is the only tool capable of clearing the DTC history code. Disconnecting the battery will not
erase DTC history. The Tech 2 scan tool sends a special message to the PCM to erase the DTCs.

IGNITION CYCLE DEFAULT
If the ignition is cycled (OFF and ON) 50 times without a particular fault resetting, that DTC will be cleared from the
PCM memory and the ignition cycle counter in the PCM will reset to zero. This is another way to clear any code, but not all, but might help you out.

Then follow the idle learn procedures

Idle Learn Procedure

Anytime the powertrain control module (PCM) or the battery is disconnected, the PCM loses power
by removing F31, or the PCM is reprogrammed, the PCMs learned idle position is lost.

Perform the following procedure in order to return the learned idle to the correct position:-

Automatic Transmission

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2.Restore the PCM battery feed if removed, or replace fuse 4 which is F31.
3.Turn OFF the A/C controls.
4. Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels.
5.Start the engine.
6.Ensure that the engine coolant temperature is more than 80 Degrees.( Check in Mode Up button).
7.Shift the transmission into Drive.
8.Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes.
9.Shift the transmission into Park.
10.Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes.
11.Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.

Manual Transmission

1.Turn OFF the ignition
2.Restore the PCM battery feed if removed, or replace Fuse 4 which is F31.
4.Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels.
5.Place the transmission in Neutral.
6.Start the engine.
7.Ensure that the engine coolant temperature is more than 80 Degrees.( Check in Mode Up button).
9.Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.

Jakep

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wl statesman
if you mean a tune it should have solved this problem, maybe your cars need to relearn the idle........

PCM reset Proceduce

Motor at operationing temperature a MUST

1.Turn ignition ON
2. Model VT Remove PCM/BCM fuse number 4 which is F31 Note: for VX,VU ,V2 remove fuse F29 10amp Eng Cont/BCM

3.Wait 20 seconds for the Car to chime to you.
4. Turn ignition OFF.
5.Model VT Replace PCM/BCM fuse 4 which is F31 Note: for VX,VU ,V2 remove fuse F29 10amp Eng Cont/BCM
6. Proceed to the idle learn Procedure.

CLEARING THE DTCS
To clear a current diagnostic trouble code from the memory of the PCM, the PCM power feed must be disconnected
for at least ten (20) seconds, or the Tech 2 scan tool must be used. The battery power feed can be disconnected
by:
• Disconnecting the negative battery terminal
• Removing the Fuse F31 in the engine compartment fuse/relay panel.

CLEARING THE DTC HISTORY CODE
The Tech 2 scan tool is the only tool capable of clearing the DTC history code. Disconnecting the battery will not
erase DTC history. The Tech 2 scan tool sends a special message to the PCM to erase the DTCs.

IGNITION CYCLE DEFAULT
If the ignition is cycled (OFF and ON) 50 times without a particular fault resetting, that DTC will be cleared from the
PCM memory and the ignition cycle counter in the PCM will reset to zero. This is another way to clear any code, but not all, but might help you out.

Then follow the idle learn procedures

Idle Learn Procedure

Anytime the powertrain control module (PCM) or the battery is disconnected, the PCM loses power
by removing F31, or the PCM is reprogrammed, the PCMs learned idle position is lost.

Perform the following procedure in order to return the learned idle to the correct position:-

Automatic Transmission

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2.Restore the PCM battery feed if removed, or replace fuse 4 which is F31.
4. Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels.
5.Start the engine.
6.Ensure that the engine coolant temperature is more than 80 Degrees.( Check in Mode Up button).
7.Shift the transmission into Drive.
9.Shift the transmission into Park.
10.Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes.

Manual Transmission

1.Turn OFF the ignition
2.Restore the PCM battery feed if removed, or replace Fuse 4 which is F31.
4.Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels.
5.Place the transmission in Neutral.
6.Start the engine.
7.Ensure that the engine coolant temperature is more than 80 Degrees.( Check in Mode Up button).
9.Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.

Is this still the same for fly by wire. I have tried the above with not much luck.

Thanks

sss1600

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 auto (crazy i know! Haa)
This thread helped me alot recently! Thanks Munz!
I've got a 2000 VX LS1 Auto and recently had some stalling issues which led me here searching for info.
It started not long after i replaced a burnt thermofan harness connector plug on my radiator.
I had the battery disconnected for a couple hours while i was soldering wires and heatshrinking the new connector in place.
On the first (short) drive after working on the car i didnt notice anything unusual, but on the second drive of the car (after a few mins when the car warmed up fully) i noticed it starting to conk out and stall when braking and coming to a stop at traffic lights and intersections.
The revs would drop well below 500rpm and get so low the dash lights would dim and some dash warning lights would start to illuminate like battery and engine check light etc.
It accellerated fine and drove fine but wouldnt idle normally (normally it idles around 650rpm in Park and 550 in Drive once warm).
I tried turning the car off and restarting it but the same thing would happen.
Checked over the engine for loose or damaged plugs and wiring, cracked vacuum hoses but i had replaced these recently aswell as clean the IAC valve not long back.
Searched on here for 'low idle LS1' and 'stalling at lights' etc and eventually came to this thread.
I chose to try a shortened method of the idle relearn procedure compared to what Munz posted above and the car is now back to normal! Basically all i did was halved the idle times from the recommended 10mins down to 5mins as i thought all that idling was excessive.

Heres what i did:

"PCM reset."
1. Firstly ensure motor is up to full operating temperature.
2. Turn ignition ON.
3. Remove PCM/BCM fuse located in the main fuse/relay box in the engine bay
(for VT's remove fuse number 4 which is F31)(for VX,VU ,V2 remove fuse F29 10amp Eng Cont/BCM).
4. Wait 20 seconds for the instrument cluster inside the cabin to chime to you indicating the loss of power to the PCM.
5. Turn ignition OFF.
6. Replace PCM/BCM fuse that you removed in step 3.
7. Proceed to the 'idle learn' Procedure.

"Idle Learn"
(Automatic Transmission)
1. Ignition should still be in the 'OFF' position as per step 5 of the pcm reset steps above.
2. Turn ignition to 'ON' but do not start or crank the engine.
3. Turn OFF the A/C controls.
4. Pull on the hand brake and chock the wheels so the car doesnt drive forward (best done on flat ground!).
5. Ensure the transmission is in Park and then Start the engine.
6. Shift the transmission into Drive. (Note: Remain in the car and be ready to apply the brake pedal just in case your handbrake doesnt hold well!)
7. Allow the engine to idle in Drive for 5 minutes.
8. Turn ON the A/C controls and allow the engine to idle for another 5 minutes.
9. Shift the transmission into Park and allow the engine to idle for another 5 minutes.
10. Turn OFF the A/C controls and allow the engine to idle in Park for 5 minutes.

"Idle Learn"
(Manual Transmission)
1. Ignition should still be in the 'OFF' position as per step 5 of the 'pcm reset' steps above.
2. Turn ignition to 'ON' but do not start or crank the engine.
3. Turn OFF the A/C controls.
4. Pull on the hand brake and chock the wheels so the car doesnt drive forward (best done on flat ground!).
5. Ensure the transmission is in Neutral and then Start the engine (Note: Remain in the car and be ready to apply the brake pedal just in case your handbrake doesnt hold well!).
7. Allow the engine to idle in Neutral for 5 minutes.
8. Turn ON the A/C controls and allow the engine to idle for another 5 minutes.
9. Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.

Hope that helps you guys speed up your idle learning!
Cheers,
Nick

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Thanks for the above info, I am a bit confused though as I have changed a few batteries on my VX SS, bought it new and have had it for 18 years and never ever had any idle issues when changing over to a new battery, I even removed a battery once to recharge it and it was out of the car for a good 24 hours then just popped it back in and there were no issues. Not sure why some cars need to relearn and others don't. I will keep a copy of the procedure in case I need it but seems odd that some have trouble and others don't, any thoughts?