Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WL Caprice with bizarre problem

hqman74

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice 6.0 litre V8 & WK Caprice 5.7 litre V8
G'Day guys.

I'm just new to this, so please bare with me.

I purchased a WL Caprice with the 6.0 litre V8 (Gen IV) in April. It had already been fitted with LPG (yes I know this will get some comments LOL), but have had nothing but dramas with it.

The LPG fitted, is the vapour injected system which I have had fitted to my WK Caprice 5.7 litre and since fitting the WK with LPG, it has been great. Everything works as it should, including the traction control.

The WL however, has the following problem.

When running on LPG, the TRAC OFF message comes up on the dash within a few minutes. When this happens, it thumps severely into gears. In particular, is the change from 1st to 2nd gears. Even when downchanging, you can tell that it is harsh.

This all began not long after I bought it. Since then, I have replaced the following items:

1. Full under bonnett LPG system at a cost of $2200
2. Full set of ignition coils at a cost of $560 (Genuine coils but through another supplier)
3. Spark plugs and leads at a cost of $100
4. Crankshaft position sensor at a cost of $165
5. ABS module at a cost of $100 (second hand unit)

As you can imagine, I'm still having issues. The LPG system was replaced at the advice of 4 different "experts" who seemed to believe that it was wired incorrectly and based on the fact that it was a brand of LPG that nobody wanted to touch, I replaced every single LPG component under the hood. A totally new kit!

The last thing that I just did was replace the ABS module. This was done because when push came to shove, I ended up at a Holden service department when I ran out of options.

They pointed the finger at the ABS module, which didn't make too much sense, given that it all works fine and drives as it should on Petrol.

The other issue is that Holden have a belief that traction control will not work with an LPG fitted vehicle. This is "old school" thinking as this was certainly the case with old conventional type of naturally aspirated LPG systems that used a convertor etc, but these days, with LPG injection, traction control can actually work, as is the case in my WK Caprice.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

The TECH 2, threw out a message saying that it was a high speed and low speed CAN BUS error, but that is the extent of the information that TECH 2 will provide.

Any suggestions are much appreciated (except responses that blame the LPG fitting etc LOL), because the car has had two totally different LPG systems fitted to it and still has the same problem.

It just seems that there is something in this particular vehicle that will not accept the vehicle running on LPG.

Cheers.

WLCaprice6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice 6.0L
Hi there.
Just wondering if you found out what was the cause as I also have the same car and have had it converted to gas and it is doing the exact same thing. Holden also gave me the same message.
I'm thinking that it is a problem caused by the gas and that it hasn't been identified as there isn't many WL 6.0litres out there, especially on gas.
When it happens to mine, i pull the main fuss from under the bonnet and that seems to fix it for a while.
Hope you or someone can help.

Cheers, James.

hqman74

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice 6.0 litre V8 & WK Caprice 5.7 litre V8
Yes I did fix it.

PM sent to WLCaprice6.0.

I look forward to talking to you soon.

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
can i ask what brand injection kit you have used? is it a plug and play kit?

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
why not just post it on here what the fix was incase there's others out there that might have the same issue?

sdambra

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accalaim S2
What was the fix for the issue as I am looking at putting my WL INTERNATIONAL V8 6litre on gas as well?

Glenn Morato

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 WL Statesman Caprice
Yes I did fix it.

PM sent to WLCaprice6.0.

Yes I did fix it.

PM sent to WLCaprice6.0.

Hey there. I know this was a long time ago but just saw the post which is the same problem I am having. Bought a 2006 wl caprice l76 6ltre, 210ks. Has been running fine then o2 sensor errors came up. Changed them and same problem. Injectors cleaned. Now traction control off comes up in dash, can’t change with button and clunks into gear and idles rough and rich. Help please. Doing my head in. Thanks Glenn