Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WL Statesman Head Unit Replacement / Factory Sub Amp

skaifeman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport & WL Statesman
Feel like this has been answered 100 times, but regarding the Caprice, rather than the Statesman.
I'm looking at putting an aftermarket head unit into the Statesman - the usual reason, need phone connectivity.

After doing some reading on here, there's an amp in the boot (which I've located in mine), which will power the factory subs in the parcel shelf.
I've also done some other research which shows that the Statesman and Caprice use different amps. My Statesman has the 'smaller' version, whilst the Caprice has the 'Premium sound' amp.

As stated, lots of information about Caprice on here, and it's clear as day that changing the head unit will no longer talk to this amp, thus not powering the subs (among other dramas in the AV headrests screens etc).

Is this still the same with my 'smaller' amp in the back of my Statesman?
Hoping there's someone in the know here, before I pull out some of the dash and risk breaking the (now 15 year old) clips.

skaifeman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport & WL Statesman
For anyone playing along at home.

I can confirm the Statesman uses a smaller additional amp, located on the passenger side of the boot, compared to the larger amp in the Caprice, located in the drivers side of the boot (behind the carpet inlay in both cases).

After using all the standard plug and play pieces from Aerpro, I still have steering wheel connectivity and the subs in the parcel shelf work!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s the same as the one in Calais.
Changing the headunit shouldn’t affect the amp.