Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM Caprice gearbox failure

Manz P

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 07 6l V8
Hi, my V8 07 Caprice lost all gears yesterday except reverse and 1st. I’m wondering if it could be computer related? It hasn’t even done 140000 ks! As it’s a sealed unit so I can’t check the trans fluid. There are no leaks. I have been quoted between $2500 and $5500 to have it repaired and it hasn’t been checked for error codes! It’s been mostly country driven. The engine light is on, but system check is all good and everything else is fine. I drive it like a ‘grandma’! It had a new radiator and starter motor fitted approx 8 weeks ago. As i’m a woman, mechanics/ Holden dealerships tend to try to rip me off! Any suggestions would be helpful?

Last edited:

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
I have an 07 Caprice too.
Last year, I had an LS3 fitted, along with a new radiator. After a few months of it progressively dropping gears, it finally gave up.
I was quoted around $6000 for a replacement.
I took it to my usual gearbox shop instead and they found that the gearbox was around 1.5 to 2 litres down. Like you, I have no leaks. It looks like the small amount that bled out when the radiator was replaced was enough to upset it.
A $300 service later, it's all good again.
Get a reputable gearbox shop to do a service and see how you go.

Manz P

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 07 6l V8
I have an 07 Caprice too.
Last year, I had an LS3 fitted, along with a new radiator. After a few months of it progressively dropping gears, it finally gave up.
I was quoted around $6000 for a replacement.
I took it to my usual gearbox shop instead and they found that the gearbox was around 1.5 to 2 litres down. Like you, I have no leaks. It looks like the small amount that bled out when the radiator was replaced was enough to upset it.
A $300 service later, it's all good again.
Get a reputable gearbox shop to do a service and see how you go.
Thank you for the info. I was hoping it might be something simple and inexpensive, I’ll have that checked, after Xmas and New Year break, and I’ll post the results for others! In the meantime I’ll be walking!