Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM Caprice reverse cam wiring

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Ok, I found out the brown wire is just the bare braid wire, (shield) for the camera video signal wires.
Have you got ALL the wiring from the donor 2012 IQ system, from the head unit to camera? Would help if you did.

GREEN CAMERA PLUG with PIN NUMBERS,
*PIN/WIRE 1, YELLOW - Video signal+
*PIN/WIRE 2, BROWN - "BARE BRAID" (SHIELD) for VID+/VID-. This is earthed through the camera so it doesnt need to connect to anything on the head unit side, BUT it must run all the way along WITH the YELLOW and BLACK camera +/- signal wires or the picture from the camera will get interference. (You need to have SHIELDED video wire), DONOR VEHICLE IQ WIRING ???
PIN/WIRE 3, WHITE - Reverse Signal.
*PIN/WIRE 4, BLACK WIRE (Closest to YELLOW WIRE) - Video signal-
PIN/WIRE 5, BLACK WIRE (Closest to WHITE WIRE)- Camera Earth.
PIN/WIRE 6, RED - Ignition voltage/power.

Pinouts- WN REVERSE CAM.jpg

CONNECTIONS,
*PIN/WIRE 1- Goes to PIN 4 at Radio (PINK WIRE )
*PIN/WIRE 2- SHIELD, This is earthed through the camera so it doesnt need to connect to anything on the head unit side, BUT it must run all the way along WITH the YELLOW and BLACK camera +/- signal wires or the picture from the camera will get interference. (You need to have SHIELDED video wire), DONOR VEHICLE IQ WIRING ???
PIN/WIRE 3- Goes to LIGHT GREEN BACKUP LAMPS WIRING, tap into reverse lights.
*PIN/WIRE 4- Goes to PIN 3 at Radio (BLUE WIRE)
PIN/WIRE 5- Goes to EARTH, Any good earth point on the body of the car.
PIN/WIRE 6- Goes to IGNITION VOLTAGE, NOT the battery. Needs to turn off when ignition is off. Need to tap into a power source that is live when ignition gets turned on.

The PIN/WIRE numbers, 1/2/4, with the * next to them is the camera video wires,
Video signal+
Video signal-
Shield

GOOD LUCK M8.

Last edited:

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jeep SRT8, WM Caprice, VE Wagon
That's freakin beautiful work mate thank you!!! Hope to have a crack at it tomorrow!! Knock off at 0600 get some zzzzzzz then I'll look at it.
I've run a shielded RCA cable back for camera +/- so if I loom the brown wire with that should do the trick? I'm going to move it anyway as I think that may be where the interference is getting into DVD audio...have a custom video plug with RCA for cam and patch loom for RSE.

I'll check back after I have a go..thanks again mate!

On a side note I wired in the same cam to the VE IQ conversion in wagon and didn't need any shielding?

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jeep SRT8, WM Caprice, VE Wagon
Well it's wired in and working mate thanks heaps for the assist as always!!! I'll just pm you in future haha

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Any time.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
Any time.

Hey mate, i’ve been told you may be able to help me. I have a MY9.5 base SS wagon. I bought a new tailgate garnish for it from a wreckers in victoria as the one on it had two broken clips that was allowing water in.

The only one i could find was complete with touchpad, number plate lights, and also had a factory reversing camera BONUS!

So that sent me down the rabbit hole of wanting to upgrade the stereo so it had factory reversing camera. I contacted matty at LsXtreme and he advised to try find a Version 9 radio box (the last of the series one radios)

So armed with that information i set out to find a SSV stereo with the part number 9223XXXX, and a week later i found one.

I sent this to LsXtreme along with my vin and he vin matched it for me, enabled VIM, and sent me a modded HVAC module to trick it into thinking it was in a dual zone car. He also included a little plug that goes in above the main plug on the side. It plugs in like factory, and has two yellow female RCA plugs off that, one marked reversing camera.

So i installed the headunit and HVAC yesterday and it’s all working as intended. Today i removed my old tailgate garnish and i’m having trouble with the wiring on the camera side of the plug. I have chopped the plug off, and i’ve alreadt ran a wire from the drivers side reverse lamp, all the way up through the trims, down inside the tailgate. I have also run a really nice earth wire to the same spot. The two video wires (which i heavily suspect are the pink and blue wires will get connected to the 6 meter RCA cable when it arrives (pink being the inner, and blue the outer)

The black i was going to send to earth, and everything else bar the two video wires was going to the reverse light for power when reverse is selected.

Can you or anyone else reading along positively identify which colour is which on this photo? My wire colours are a bit different from other peoples i have seen do the conversion, in that they don’t have white or red like i do.

See below photos of camera wiring, the one with the wires just hanging there is where i’m at now with the plug cut off and garnish installed, the other i took before i installed the garnish, and you can see the plug on the end.

Attachments

• 5C35CC62-165A-412C-A847-32E73F138D68.jpeg
    5C35CC62-165A-412C-A847-32E73F138D68.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 115
  • 298760D0-71B4-49AF-B14E-B8BF66F31175.jpeg
    298760D0-71B4-49AF-B14E-B8BF66F31175.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 105

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate, i’ve been told you may be able to help me. I have a MY9.5 base SS wagon. I bought a new tailgate garnish for it from a wreckers in victoria as the one on it had two broken clips that was allowing water in.

The only one i could find was complete with touchpad, number plate lights, and also had a factory reversing camera BONUS!

So that sent me down the rabbit hole of wanting to upgrade the stereo so it had factory reversing camera. I contacted matty at LsXtreme and he advised to try find a Version 9 radio box (the last of the series one radios)

So armed with that information i set out to find a SSV stereo with the part number 9223XXXX, and a week later i found one.

I sent this to LsXtreme along with my vin and he vin matched it for me, enabled VIM, and sent me a modded HVAC module to trick it into thinking it was in a dual zone car. He also included a little plug that goes in above the main plug on the side. It plugs in like factory, and has two yellow female RCA plugs off that, one marked reversing camera.

So i installed the headunit and HVAC yesterday and it’s all working as intended. Today i removed my old tailgate garnish and i’m having trouble with the wiring on the camera side of the plug. I have chopped the plug off, and i’ve alreadt ran a wire from the drivers side reverse lamp, all the way up through the trims, down inside the tailgate. I have also run a really nice earth wire to the same spot. The two video wires (which i heavily suspect are the pink and blue wires will get connected to the 6 meter RCA cable when it arrives (pink being the inner, and blue the outer)

The black i was going to send to earth, and everything else bar the two video wires was going to the reverse light for power when reverse is selected.

Can you or anyone else reading along positively identify which colour is which on this photo? My wire colours are a bit different from other peoples i have seen do the conversion, in that they don’t have white or red like i do.

See below photos of camera wiring, the one with the wires just hanging there is where i’m at now with the plug cut off and garnish installed, the other i took before i installed the garnish, and you can see the plug on the end.

edit: i’ve added a pinout diagram that shows where my coloured wires go in the factory plug on the camera end (i’ve since cut this off as i’m hard wiring all this.

Reversing camera (6 wire type)
Pin 1 - pink
Pin 2 - not used
Pin 3 - red
Pin 4 - light blue
Pin 5 - White
Pin 6 - not used
Pin 7 - Black
Pin 8 - Light green
E29357A8-327F-4DF0-A04D-716DAE9C9BAA.jpeg

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
First things first,

What model and model year is the donor rear garnish and camera from, that you pick up from the wreckers?

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
First things first,

What model and model year is the donor rear garnish and camera from, that you pick up from the wreckers?
Its from a 2012 Ve series 2 Calais wagon mate. Rang JHP today to see if any of the boys could help, he couldn’t get past the fact that my camera plug was white and not green. He said in his 7 years they have always been green, however i suspect maybe because it’s a late 2012 calais wagon, maybe that’s why it’s different.

I even rang jeff todd (the famous bob todds son) who i bought my VF redline off brand new, as he owns a dealership, and sent him all the info i have, his best mechanic isn’t back at work till next wednesday tho, but jeff did suggest the extra wires on this camera could possibly be for the reverse lines to bend left and right when you turn the wheel, something i hadn’t really considered, but would make sense.

So i dunno, what do you think @VT2Commie ?

Last edited: