Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM Caprice Series 1 Upgrade to Series 2 touch screen

928S

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
Guys, my wife has a very nice black/black WM caprice, with 20,000 kms on it, a car we plan to keep for the long term, I still have my Lexcen wagon with 310,000 kms and going strong. We converted it to gas, it runs the liquid injection and it is a 6.0 litre. It goes great, if contimplating a conversion go with the liquid injection.

Anyway we don't have sat nav or a rear camera, if you have seen the new series 2 ads you will know that the new commodores have a very nice system. All the aftermarket stuff is ordinary. I checked them all out and all have shortfalls versus the new factory system. The main short fall is the rear view cameras take out the park assist. Whereas the new system retains this and gives a guide on screen. Lets face it these cars are impossible to see out of and I have a spotless 4B licence.

Unfortunately I get lost a lot:bang:, So anyway the price to go aftermarket with a touchscreen sat nav is $2500 and the rear view camera is $600, I know there is cheaper ones that go one the mirror but they will be tiny and I like the blue tooth phone improvements too.

So I did some enquiries online and it appears that unlike the lower models the dashboard has not been changed nor the centre console, just the inserts, so it appears that it is just new hardware and software fitted to that hardware that has provided that upgrade modernisation.

When I asked the dealer last time about the touchscreen sat nav series 1, luckily the answer to my question was it is not available as a spare part. I was really surprised, so I am hoping this is not the case this time. I just wonder electrical guys, how difficult would it be to install such an item? I know that the wiring harness will be different but is this impossible?

Greg

BADNWS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SRT
Hey there, Im looking to do the same thing, ive got a 2007 caprice and am looking to put the touch screen in, Ive called up holden and from i can get from them they just dont want it to be done this is what i got from one of the guys at holden. "as this is a modification holden dont recommend it" So im figuring that with the caprice it would be a matter changing the whole unit, alarm and climate control as it would all be linked, I am yet to talk to someone in holden tech but i would say that it could be done! let me know if you find out anything more. Im going to go and have a look at one once they come out to make sure that everything is the same size and shape. Let me know.

smitheyes

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice,HQmonaro,,KTM530
will be watching this thread with anticipation , sounds like a great idea to me.............of course for the price theyll want for the new screen i could probably upgrade to a new Grange...lol I wish

BADNWS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SRT
will be watching this thread with anticipation , sounds like a great idea to me.............of course for the price theyll want for the new screen i could probably upgrade to a new Grange...lol I wish

We can only dream, Although I would rather just buy the Grange back bumper lol

1Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
Hay guys a little off topic but thought id ask anyway any of you guys know how to keep the dvd screen in the dash on all the time not only when your stopped at the lights or at very slow speeds? cheers

BADNWS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SRT
Hay guys a little off topic but thought id ask anyway any of you guys know how to keep the dvd screen in the dash on all the time not only when your stopped at the lights or at very slow speeds? cheers

Hey Man, Welcome to JC, You need to by the VIM (video in motion) you can get it from JHP this will allow you to watch DVD's while you are driving.
Hope this helps.

Google JHP

pdbee

Reaction score

Check out with an auto sparks or a good mechanic

I believe this can be achieved by taking the electrical wire off the hand brake

(Personally I think it's a crazy idea to watch DVD while driving, about the equivalent of texting while driving)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

BADNWS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SRT
You can get a VIM kit from JHP in melb.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2