Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wm statesman/caprice s1 to s2 iq touch screen upgrade

Valvebounce

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm statesman
Hey
I can't find the information I need on this topic. I have a s1 wm statesman and I want to upgrade it to the s2 iq touch screen. Unlike the ve the dash for the wm iq s2 and s1 are the same.
So could this be as simple as a swap?
Cheers

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
Kits available on eBay for about 2k

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Valvebounce

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm statesman
I know there are kits for the sv6 and includes all the mods for all the dash trims and ax. But I'm talking about the caprice iq system wich is the same console in s1 and s2. My question is can I just buy the iq from a s2 and plug and play as everything else is the same?

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Im pretty sure you also need a cluster upgrade to series 2 for the IQ upgrade (maybe this is just for NAV?)
I wouldn't bother to be honest... The costs are just..... not worth it for 5-10 cd storage and basic USB. In my WM Caprice, I ended up buying a touch screen overlay kit, pulling apart the head unit and installing that.
I then hooked up a CarPC to the DVD player inputs (disconnected them, they're crap anyway!) and hooked the PC up to this, got a VIM (video in motion) mod on the headunit and now use a PC running centrafuse for all my music needs.

Valvebounce

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm statesman
Hmm maybe I think the clusters are the same? We'll at least look the same. A lot if people have done a s1 to s2 sv6 mod. But I can't find anyone who has done statesman or caprice s1 to s2 mod. The upgrade should be simple. S1 caprice and statesman already have duel zone ac so there is not stuffing around with that.
The dash trims remain the same so no stuffing around with that.

And the costs of upgrading to touch and adding GPS and a computer must cost more then just buying a caprice iq from a wrecker.

Maybe iv posted this in the wrong section. I need to holden guru. I'd imagine the loom is prob the same aslo

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Well it should be fairly easy to do. You will have to get the new unit programmed for your car though. Pretty sure that's all you'll need to do. That's changing the VIN # so the security doesn't shut off the unit. You seem to already know the trim is the same (I'll take your word on that), and the connector should also be the same. At worst all I can see is maybe a pin or two needs swapping over, but I don't think so. As for the cluster, you won't need to change that. There is a nav function that shows the turn-by-turn instructions on the centre cluster display that might not work. I'm not sure if that needs a new cluster, to reprogram your cluster, or just works. Take a look at carmodder.com for some more info. Zerone_V has a lot of info there.
As far as the programming goes, Holden can do it (for a price), or Ultimate Conversion Wiring does great work (but will need to send him your unit - he's Sydney I believe), or I should be able to help (though as I'm in Ippy and won't charge you, we'd have to sort out a time to meet up - am willing to come down the coast and visit my sister at the same time, just need to organize it.) Have changed an SV6 headunit into an Omega, that was just putting his VIN into the new unit (but that was S1 to S1). I'd have to look into it a bit more to see what changes to make, or it might take a while to find the info in the code just by looking.

Valvebounce

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm statesman
Wow thanks for the info dude that was awesome.
Yeah I don't see y holden would hVe changed to
Much in the dash.

I want to be able to use the sat nav aswel. When you say program does the unit have to be out of the car?

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
No worries mate. I saw Zerone_V posted some info the other day regarding the clusters. So this is from his knowledge and experience:

"It it helps, there are 3 main cluster versions used in VE, (And each version has subversions for bug fixes and minor updates)

VE White Backed Clusters (Have limited support for Navigation Information, later models have AFM and HSV MRC support)
VE Black Backed Clusters (Series 1) Have a bit more support for Navigation (Nav popups such as red light, speed camera, school zone, but displays all these as the same type of popup)
VE Black Backed Clusters (Series 2) Have support for full Nav (Speed alert, posted speed limits, different types of nav alerts),

The navigation support is the most obvious differences in terms of software between these clusters.
Also, the hardware is slightly different between the black backed clusters, so you cant flash Series II cluster software to a Series I black backed cluster."

He doesn't specifically mention the turn-by-turn instructions though, so I don't know (ie.- an arrow appearing and "Take next left" text). This is just the pop-up on the cluster, not the nav function on the headunit. The nav doesn't need the cluster in order to work, it's just the extra function of displaying it on the cluster as well. (Hope that makes sense). Personally I don't like that pop-up anyway - it bugs me enough having the gear indicator pop-up all the time. But thats just me apparently.
As for the programming, Ultimate Conversion Wiring needs your new headunit (but I'm not sure how he's doing it these days). He can basically do anything you need done, like removing the VIM (Video in Motion) lockout, RSE (rear seat entertainment) and other mods. Quite the guru. This might need to be done if you want to add a reversing camera or RSE for example. Holden will do the programming after you've installed the unit using a Tech2. They can't do as much in the way of mods as UCW. I now have a Tech2, but am really new to it and haven't looked at the things I can do to the headunit as I don't have one in my car anymore (went the aftermarket route). It may or may not need TIS2WEB access for security ($55 for 2 days), but that might not be enough and may need higher security access. That may just be the various module software updates (haven't played with it much). That is like the ECU, EBCM, Transponder etc. So the way I'd do it is with the new headunit out of the car. By opening it up I can connect to the chip on the motherboard and edit the VIN number in the code. The same way I did my instrument cluster. I haven't done an IQ unit before, just the basic unit. But it was easy and I expect just installing it and getting it to work without modding it is just about the same. The cluster wasn't so easy to do, as I had to do a lot of trial and error trying to work out what was relevant to my car and what was from the donor car and what was cluster specific code. But now I'm rambling off topic.
Anyway, I hope that doesn't confuse you more. I'll try to answer any more questions, but the real knowledgeable folks are Zerone_V and double_dip on here amongst others. Some other really smart and helpful folks are about, especially over at the carmodder.com forums if I don't make enough sense.