Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM V8 Caprice is squealing

shawry_00

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Grange
Hey guys, got a question.

One of my coolant pipes blew off, the clamp seems to have given way. So I replaced the clamp, drained all the coolant fluid and refilled with new stuff. Now the belts are squealing like crazy!!
I've dried them off, cleaned them, getting all the **** off. I've used Belt-Grip, wd-40, i'll try anything, just wont stop.

Would something have happened to the engine itself when it got hot? (I was obviously driving when the hose blew but pulled over straight away). Will I have to throw on a new belt or could it be something more?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Definitely sounds like a simple case of serpentine belt squeal.

Just replace the belt and the noise will go away. Belt grip is next to useless on a screaming belt. I have found it will change the noise for a short time but it will come back.
(While you are at it also check that you do not have any minor coolant leaks where fluid is slowly seeping onto the serpentine belt at any point).

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
Dry lube on the belt is a temporary measure. Getting the belt wet even with just water when its running will kill the belt and it will start to squeal almost instantly. Nothing you can do but replace the belt. They seem ok if you get them wet when not running though (i assume when its running the water gets pushed deep into the belt damaging the structure causing the squeal)

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Dry lube on the belt is a temporary measure. Getting the belt wet even with just water when its running will kill the belt and it will start to squeal almost instantly. Nothing you can do but replace the belt. They seem ok if you get them wet when not running though (i assume when its running the water gets pushed deep into the belt damaging the structure causing the squeal)

take it off clean it with proper degreaser wash, let dry thoroughly then when placed back on - start engine & use a cake of soap applied to the belt's inner side, then outer side whilst engine is spinning. That belt grip stuff is junk - good for making tyres shine perhaps, good ol' soap cake applied whilst belt is spinning (be careful) will sort it out for sure -

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Ring holden say you got a quote "the other day" for $25 including gst, lol it works every time. This is my third v8 ve and I've bought about 5 belts in total

Mikey_mikestar

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV
I had a belt squeal on my 07 ssv and thought it was the belt until I found out the balancer had moved back about 10 mm and shredded a whole groove off the belt. A new 25% underdriven pulley, serpintine and air con belts and problem soled. Apparently this was a bit of a common problem.