Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WN Caprice - Delete Options?

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Probably looking for a unicorn here but I figure you guys will know better than me.

With the WN Caprice rapidly running out of time we're considering grabbing a new one. Effectively our ideal car would be a LWB V8 Executive (in the old parlance) as we want the leg room and the lazy grunt without all the bits that will inevitably fail shortly after the warranty expires, like the DVD screens, sat nav etc.

Anyone know if Holden are still in the habit of allowing equipment to be de-spec'd? Holden NZ have quietly dropped the Caprice from their line-up so it'd have to be imported from Aussie, and late-model non-taxi WNs are in very short supply here.

I get the feeling this would only be remotely possible as part of a US-type volume order (and with the imminent shutdown even that's unlikely) but better to ask than die wondering. Otherwise we may have to look at an SS wagon instead.

Airalistair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Spitfire green MY16 redline Ute with amcat canopy.
I think modern electrics are a bit more reliable than that so hardly likely to be an issue. If you are so convinced that they will fail after 3 years then why not spend the money you were going to "de-spec" the car with to purchase an extra 3 years of warranty - $2600~. Anything that fails after the 6 years then spend a few bucks to upgrade it to a newer unit and keep your car current. Who knows, by 2023 maybe we will finally be able to get android auto and bluetooth that actually connects without issues for our mylink units..

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Fair point, I've never bought new before myself so warranties are a bit of a novelty. I'm more used to fixing things when they break, that's something else I'd have to get over until after the warranty runs out. Generally we buy a near-new car and run it into the ground, hence still rocking around in a VS, which may be approaching its final Winter before it becomes a paddock basher for the kids.

I see a lot of the luxury stuff as dead weight too though, it sticks in my craw that I'd have to pay for something I don't want and would never use, and since no one else is likely to ever own it then it's a waste of money. Ah well. And yes I know I sound like a grumpy old fart.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I very much doubt with the state of the allocation system that you'd even be able to get a new one any more, and even if you did, deleting options would be very much out of the question.

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Looking around I'm getting that feeling myself, I suspect they're all gone in NZ. :(

Thanks gents.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I think modern electrics are a bit more reliable than that so hardly likely to be an issue. If you are so convinced that they will fail after 3 years then why not spend the money you were going to "de-spec" the car with to purchase an extra 3 years of warranty - $2600~. Anything that fails after the 6 years then spend a few bucks to upgrade it to a newer unit and keep your car current. Who knows, by 2023 maybe we will finally be able to get android auto and bluetooth that actually connects without issues for our mylink units..
Was thinking the same re electrics reliability.
BTW - I had a software update to get the gridlines when they came out. But as far as bluetoof and Mylink goes, mine has always worked great with my Samsung Android phone.

Airalistair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Spitfire green MY16 redline Ute with amcat canopy.
I too had never bought a new car, was looking forward to perhaps choosing between some options on my redline but there aren't any aside from external trim and wheels!

You'll forget all about any frustrations you have when you get out of the mighty VS and behind the LS3 though.

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
At 125,000km none of the Creature Comfort items in my MY16 Caprice have let go.
Failures to date: Fuel Pump,, and funny behaviour with exterior Rear Vision Mirrors
No lamps, no fans, no seats or DVD players, nothing

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
You'll forget all about any frustrations you have when you get out of the mighty VS and behind the LS3 though.

Hey, the VS has headers and 'zorst, so must be somewhere up around the 700whp mark. If it had a cop chip and red coil packs too I'd never get rid of it. As it is I'll miss the soft mooing sounds and "skwee-skwee-skwee-skwee-skwee-skwee.." of every pulley when it's been raining, as well as the "I think someone's been shagging a wet sheep in here" smell. :p

Might have to go sit in the back of a VF and see how much room there is.