Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wn Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CAPRICE STRAIGHT
HI.
I HAVE A WN CAPRICE FACTORY GAS. I'M ASSUMING THE VF IS THE SAME.

WHILST DRIVING IT STARTS TO FEEL A LITTLE SLUGGISH, THAN THE REVS PLAY AND I GET ALL THESE WARNING SIGNS COME UP. SERVICE ESP, SERVICE POWER STEERING,
AFTER THIS THE ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AND CAR GOES INTO LIMP HOME MODE.

IF I DISCONNECT THE BATTERY IT GOES AWAY, AFTER 30 MINS OF DRIVING IT ALL HAPPENS AGAIN.

I'VE BEEN TO MECHANICS AND AUTO ELECS. MY CAR HAS BEEN WITH THE AUTO ELEC NOW FOR 6 DAYS AND HE STILL CAN'T WORK IT OUT

I HAVE CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION (SECOND HAND), NEW GAS INJECTORS, NEW ECU, SECOND HAND ALTERNATOR, SECOND HAND THROTTLE BODY AND NEW BATTERY.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP OR HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THE SAME SYMPTOMS.

I'VE SPENT 5K.

PLEASE SOMEONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Does it have problems when running on petrol?

If it’s only an issue when running LPG, check the LPG filter (part of the evaporator?) since dirty or blocked filter can impact drivability and results in DTC’s and warning lamps, etc.

Ps. Avoid posts using all uppercase characters as the convention when doing such is that you’re shouting.

Wn Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CAPRICE STRAIGHT

If it’s only an issue when running LPG, check the LPG filter (part of the evaporator?) since dirty or blocked filter can impact drivability and results in DTC’s and warning lamps, etc.

Ps. Avoid posts using all uppercase characters as the convention when doing such is that you’re shouting.

Wn Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CAPRICE STRAIGHT
Its a straight gas LWR engine

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have the LPG charcol filter checked and replaced. It's a servicable item and needs periodic replacement otherwise you will have similar issues to what you've described (as has been reported on similar threads). The LPG filter is located on the right side of the engine, after the converter and before the lpg injectors.

Also, have a look at the VF/WN workshop manual which this post links to. I use Adobe Reader to navigate the PDF via the left bookmark pane. Navigate/Click through sections <Engine/Propulsion> <Engine Controls and Fuel - 3.0L (LFW) or 3.6L (LFX, LWR)> then <Description and Operation> <1. LPG System Description and Operation> and read the section. Then click <Diagnostic Information and Procedure> <84. Symptoms - Engine Controls (LWR)> and also read the section.

Though the PDF service manual is missing the hyperlinks and is thus frustrating to navigate, it is still helpful. Possibly you could have had the mechanic change the filter first, then do proper diagnosis before doing $5k of parts replacement. I know i'd be pissed if the fault was due to a simple filter choking the supply of LPG o_O

Hope you work out what the issue was and report back here ;).

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You might get more answers if you post this in a 2006 Commodore section. This section is for VN-VP Commodores- built maybe 15 years before your car- our engine computers can't take the drastic measures you describe.

Good luck, from experience with my newer cars I'd try a cheap wireless OBD2 coded reader and software to fine the problem. A mate's LPG Falcon had a blocked LPG filter recently and it caused high speed missing. We found out it looking at the service manual that it was supposed to be changed on a regular basis

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
You might get more answers if you post this in a 2006 Commodore section. This section is for VN-VP Commodores- built maybe 15 years before your car- our engine computers can't take the drastic measures you describe.

Good luck, from experience with my newer cars I'd try a cheap wireless OBD2 coded reader and software to fine the problem. A mate's LPG Falcon had a blocked LPG filter recently and it caused high speed missing. We found out it looking at the service manual that it was supposed to be changed on a regular basis
Yep, you’re correct that this is VP-VN forum so this thread should be moved by moderators.

WN caprice is 2013+, not 2006.

If feel for @Wn Caprice as he’s paid so much $$ and still has problems. Seems like a bit of a rip off but we obviously don’t know the whole story’s o I hope he lets us know how he solved the issue.