Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS3] WN Caprice LS3 to GTS power - how?

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Hi, I'm a chauffer driver/owner operator and also a car nut and am considering upgrading my current WN seies 1 (6.0 litre) to a newer LS3 powered WN Series 2...just because I want to own the last and greatest Caprice ever made.

What are the differences between the GTS LS3 (325kw?) and the standard LS3 in the caprice? What would I need to do to the standard LS3 that comes in the WNII Caprice to make GTS type power? I also do Uber Black and Uber X and I'd get a kick out of picking people up in a "mobster" Caprice.

Will cams and heads be involved or is just a matter of OTR, exhaust and tune? I'd also like to add the resonator as well for more interior sound. Is it possible to retrofit one to a caprice? I know I could just buy a Grange but they're very hard to find and very pricey still at this early stage. I just want to build my own surprising Caprice.

Thanks.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
If 325kw is all you're looking for, a tune with no other mods will surpass that. Add some tri-y headers, HF cats, and an OTR, and you'll achieve around 380, with a glorious note and cabin noise from the OTR to boot.

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Even better! Thanks.

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Was just talking to a guy who swore black and blue that a custom tune only lasts 500kms then it "reverts back to the factory setting and your usual driving style". I argued that if that were the case then tuners would go out of business due to massive refunds or seeing as though I drive about 500kms a day I'd have to get a re-tune every morning before going out...lol. He argued "people can't tell because they don't thrash their cars all the time". I stopped discussing it with him because he was adamant but he said he got this from one of the "biggest" tuners in the state.

Surely he can't be right. He argued that unless you get a "piggy back" ECU that over rode the standard ECU it would happen and he'd put money on it. Is that what tuners do? They wire in an over ride ECU to hold the tune?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
what he is saying is BS, if he wants to see if changes revert back ill zero out all his fueling tables and then see if it ever starts/runs again...

H

harrop.senator

Take him up on the bet for a monkey that should cover your non reverting tune almost.

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
I strongly suspected it was BS. Thanks for confirming but he was so insistant that I thought I'd do a quick "fact check" on here.

He also said that 17% extra power "couldn't be felt or noticed". I know that's BS because I've strongly felt as little as 10% extra power in other cars.

Going back to my WN Series 2 upgrade; apart from the LS3 engine (and different wheels) is anything else different between the WN Series 1 and WN Series 2? I was in at a Holden dealership getting a new steering rack (free recall repair) and asked about the differences. He didn't know too much but said the series 2 looked a little different in the front. I can't see any differences. I'm particularly interested in any mechanical differences in engine accessories, brakes, suspension and exhaust though. Or are they identical except for the engine?

Prices are starting to come down slowly so I'm getting an itchy wallet. I know (unless I'm pushing it) I probably won't feel much difference between the LS2 and LS3 (or will I?) but I just want the last of the last to keep. I'll work it to pay it off then will probably retire it and keep it as a personal car.

Also, speaking of the tune; Is there any way to customise the tune to get more punch in the low end rev range (1,000 - 3,000) instead of maximum rev power? I drive it a lot and really use the power for fast take offs up to 60, 80 and 100 then I back off (my living relies on my license) so I really want that push in the back to be emphasised at the lower rev ranges. It'd be cool to bunch as much power into those lower rev ranges. Not sure what's possible though.

Appreciate all input.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
anything is possible and when a tune is done the whole area should be improved idle, cruise, WOT, mid throttle... all areas, with a stock ls2-3 the ls2 has its torque at a lower rpm but the ls3 has more higher hp potential, the ls3 also has the better parameters in the ecu compared to earlier e38's

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Also, speaking of the tune; Is there any way to customise the tune to get more punch in the low end rev range (1,000 - 3,000) instead of maximum rev power?

Nope. A tune will show gains over the whole lot - particular power curves are dictated by choice of hardware (i.e. camshaft, heads, headers and exhaust, intake manifold etc.