Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS3] WN Caprice LS3 to GTS power - how?

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
anything is possible and when a tune is done the whole area should be improved idle, cruise, WOT, mid throttle... all areas, with a stock ls2-3 the ls2 has its torque at a lower rpm but the ls3 has more higher hp potential, the ls3 also has the better parameters in the ecu compared to earlier e38's

Nope. A tune will show gains over the whole lot - particular power curves are dictated by choice of hardware (i.e. camshaft, heads, headers and exhaust, intake manifold etc.
Thanks, I suppose an overall increase in power everywhere isn't a bad thing. I'm toying with the idea of an OTR and headers. OTR is OTR but what about headers? Which design would be more likely to boost the lower regions? I've heard 4-into-1 sounds better but 4-into-1 traditionally improves upper region power. You'll have to forgive my old school thinking but I'm keen to not make any "dumb" mods as I'm a bit new to ECU controlled vehicles. I want to improve the performance without sacrificing low speed drive-ability and manners (for obvious reasons).

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Realistically unless you're chasing big power headers will have stuff all difference. Someone a while back did a bunch of comparisons and you'd never feel the difference at the seat-of-the-pants tester. Something like 10kw was over the whole lot

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i should say a tuner SHOULD improve power everywhere but many just do a WOT run to show power, it takes time to get all the part throttle areas right and maximized but if done correct the engine is so much better and more efficient

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Good to know, that just saved me a lot of money. I would like a bit more burble though. A passenger the other week asked me if it was an electric car - they're that quiet. I'd like it to sound (at least a bit more) like a V8. So as far as sound goes; is there a muffler delete or replacement that would offer a bit more burble and V8 sound? I hope you can see what I'm going for. I drive these cars for over 8 hours a day and I'd like to eek out as much enjoyment as possible - being a car guy 'n all.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
usually just deleting a muffler makes them sound crap, what would sound good and deep is just the difillipo 2.5" nice sound and still quiet at cruise

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
You can tune a car for higher load in the lower range, both ecu and tcm. Mainly tcm and convertor slip, second gear start, use the torque model to cover torque load and delivery.
Bolt-ons are typically chosen for high rpm peak, for example typical OTR is not ideal for low rpm delivery.
Sure Di Filipo headers as suggested have a torque ring / accelerator in the collector to overcome the typical problem of high load at low rpm, but is not the same as low rpm tuned length scavaging.
Other header designs are specifically made to deliver torque earlier but they will not sound like 4-1 with the kiss that I gather you are looking for.
Here is an engine tuned for high load off idle, plenty of stock convertor slip and second gear take-off.
Deep sound but from 4-2-1 and x-pipe at tuned location for low rpm scavenging:
Result is more old school hydralastic 20 Kph to 100+ without much steam or scream:
View media item 344

Last edited:

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
You can tune a car for higher load in the lower range, both ecu and tcm. Mainly tcm and convertor slip, second gear start, use the torque model to cover torque load and delivery.
Bolt-ons are typically chosen for high rpm peak, for example typical OTR is not ideal for low rpm delivery.
Sure Di Filipo headers as suggested have a torque ring / accelerator in the collector to overcome the typical problem of high load at low rpm, but is not the same as low rpm tuned length scavaging.
Other header designs are specifically made to deliver torque earlier but they will not sound like 4-1 with the kiss that I gather you are looking for.
Interesting, thanks for your reply. Are there any tuners in Adelaide who can tune like this?

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
One more thing to consider is the potential for drone.
I had a Caprice with a twin 3" Stainless system and the rear passengers had to put up with a very noticable drone on acceleration where as up the front it was not as bad at all. It was quite good at cruise rpm though.
This same problem was worse in another Caprice in the family with a 2.5" Stainless System.
If you have customers in the back, it may be something to consider.
Potentially a Varex type exhaust may be an option for you?

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Yeah, any drone is unacceptable in a working car. All I'd want is "some V8 sound". A lady the other day asked me if it was an electric car. It's that quiet. I need some sound. It doesn't have to cackle like a super car. Varex style does seem like the sensible option. Especially if there's an over ride for when I'm cruising by myself.

Thanks for your post. Helpful.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
HSV bimodal are high quality, cheap and easy.
For about $500.

Whereas Chinese X-Force haz apps and stuff to impress your clients and wile away hours in the queue by entertaining yourself and make other limo drivers jelly with V8 muffler tricks:
For several thousand.