Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS3] WN Caprice LS3 to GTS power - how?

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Well, today it happened. Just sealed the deal on an 18,427kms August 2017 (Nitrite) Silver Caprice. One executive owner who lived 10km from work and just drove it back and forward to work. He left the company so it went up for sale early. I've priced a tune from Pavlo Motors who say they can give it a nice little bump in performance with all the stock gear left on that I'll definitely be able to feel for a very reasonable price. Later I might do OTR and once I figure out how to get a nice burble I'll probably do that too and re-tune again.

I'm trying to find out when the last Caprice rolled off the line because August 2017 is very late so I'm hoping it's one of the last of the last (and of course best of the best). Also, do the HSV 340 LS3s have any special hard parts that differentiate them from the detuned LS3 in the standard Caprice or can I get (or ask for) an "HSV 340" tune with this stock motor?

I rang Holden and got the full history. Apparently there was a rocker recall that was done. What was that all about? Anyway, Factory extra tint and Hayman Reese heavy duty towbar and for the Grandpa touch; factory fitted weather shields on the front windows. The original Bridgestones still have nipples apparently.

Happy days.

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Had the car for a few weeks now and it's an awesome vehicle. Clicking up about 400kms a day. Was using various 98 fuels (Caltex and independent) but recently I tried BP Ultimate 98...TOTALLY different car!! I'm stunned at the difference. Really didn't expect it. Much smoother and noticeably more powerful with a lot more down low torque. Could the other 98s be that bad? Fascinating. No way I can go back to other 98s now. Also getting about 100 extra kms per tank so (even though I haven't crunched the numbers yet) I think the extra expense is worth it or at least "not that bad".

I've priced a CAI, TUNE and possibly some tr-y headers and 100 cell cats with a tune from PPM and though expensive he's aiming for 265 RWKW which would give me all the power I think I'll need for my purposes. Any idea how much that might be in FWKW roughly? Numbers aren't as important as performance I know but it's nice to know.

I could do with some advice though... I'm looking at some spare parts that were taken off a 2016 LS3 VF SSV. Namely discs, callipers, headers and cats and (the best part) a pair of rear bi-modal mufflers - all for less than $200 so I reckon they're a bargain if they all fit. My questions are;

1) Are the 2016 (solid) discs and callipers the same as my 2017 WN Caprice? In other words will they be good for spare parts? The pads are about 16,000kms old and I'll eventually wear through the discs so I'm happy to store them until needed and the pads will come in handy I'm sure.

2) Are the headers and cats any different to mine?

3) Will the bi-modal rear mufflers bolt up to my existing exhaust pipes?

4) I think these are electric valves on the bimodal mufflers so I'm guessing they'll need a relay and switch hidden somewhere so they will work either open or closed. Am I correct?

5) Was quoted up to $500 for the above electrical work so is there a way to just leave the bimodal valve open manually? At least for now. And, how do you think it'll sound? I'm only after some extra ("civilised"?) V8 burble/sound. Not expecting it to sound like a 3" open exhaust LSA.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Also, speaking of the tune; Is there any way to customise the tune to get more punch in the low end rev range (1,000 - 3,000) instead of maximum rev power? I drive it a lot and really use the power for fast take offs up to 60, 80 and 100 then I back off (my living relies on my license) so I really want that push in the back to be emphasised at the lower rev ranges. It'd be cool to bunch as much power into those lower rev ranges. Not sure what's possible though.

Appreciate all input.
My Tuner said that for really strong low end, leave the stock headers on and just do a cat back for the sound. The Tri Ys and longer 4 in 1 headers work really well at savaging at higher RPM, but the factory headers, because of their very short length work very well at low RPM but will kill a few kw's at high RPM. My old VX LS1 with pulling 230rwkw with standard headers, a CAI and catback. He said I'd only make a few extra kw's putting extractors on it and it would be at the high end of the RPM.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
I've priced a CAI, TUNE and possibly some tr-y headers and 100 cell cats with a tune from PPM and though expensive he's aiming for 265 RWKW which would give me all the power I think I'll need for my purposes. Any idea how much that might be in FWKW roughly? Numbers aren't as important as performance I know but it's nice to know.

3) Will the bi-modal rear mufflers bolt up to my existing exhaust pipes?

4) I think these are electric valves on the bimodal mufflers so I'm guessing they'll need a relay and switch hidden somewhere so they will work either open or closed. Am I correct?

5) Was quoted up to $500 for the above electrical work so is there a way to just leave the bimodal valve open manually? At least for now. And, how do you think it'll sound? I'm only after some extra ("civilised"?) V8 burble/sound. Not expecting it to sound like a 3" open exhaust LSA.

Thanks in advance.
265rwkw is about 340kw at the flywheel kw, approximately.

As for the Bimodals, I went to get the bimodals for my WN but they had to weld a 2 bolt flange onto the muffler as the bimodals I picked up didn't have a flange.

The electric valves by default are spring into the open position. So no power to the exhaust valve means open and loud. Closing the valve is not as simple as supplying power. It requires 12V power and specific PWM 10V signal to close the valves. I have been working on a control board to open and close the valves via an android app (No switches need to be wired inside the car)

It sounds great open.

Last edited:

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Thanks for your reply John. Since owning the WN I've discovered that it has more than enough power for my purposes and pleasure so I'm not really looking for outright power increases at the top end therefore I agree with you about leaving the stock exhaust manifolds in place and working on getting as much of the power increases in the lower range. I believe that a tune to the stock engine along with a fresh air source might be all I need to get that feeling of "gobs of power" down low. These LS3s are an incredible engine and I'm all about the 0-50, 0-60 and 60-100 times. I've never felt anything like it. When I get "into it" I find myself saying "whoa!" almost every time.

So, I reckon with an OTR (I'm liking the Orssom more than the VCM because it looks like it's easier to get to the filter and they provide similar performance increases), a "corrective" tune and possibly your Bi-Modal mod I'll have the car doing what I want while remaining relatively stock for reliability purposes. Cubic inches seem to be doing all the lifting I need for now.

I've also purchased a RevHigh Throttle Controller which will arrive this week and I plan to use it on the light side (P2-4) for a slighter sharper throttle response or being a new V4 I might leave it on AutoIQ for both economy when I'm cruising lightly around town then automatically sharpening the rate of opening when it sense I'm pushing the throttle a little harder. I'll report back on it when after I've installed it. It may be all I need given that I'm after more power (or the feeling of more power) down low only.

Regarding your BiModal controller; I have an iPhone so I'm looking at a switch or some form of automatic (vacuum like) auto sensing valve opener. How can I find out more about your controller?

Thanks.

Last edited:

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Regarding your BiModal controller; I have an iPhone so I'm looking at a switch or some form of automatic (vacuum like) auto sensing valve opener. How can I find out more about your controller?

Thanks.
I have already completed a prototype board that will allow push button or toggle switch control of the valves. Automatic control will be next but is a whole other can of worms. I am toying with the idea of linking to the CAN network to read throttle, RPM, Speed and anything else that might be useful to make it automatic. This idea isn't in prototype yet.

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
Cool, I'd like to follow the development of your Bi-Modal controller. If there's a link to a thread I should subscribe to please drop it here when you have time.

Thanks.