Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WN V8 slight hesitation with light throttle on morning leave. Normal?

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
Firstly Happy New Year to all!! :)

Been enjoying my WN Caprice for the past few weeks since i picked it up but have noticed one thing tough every time i start the car and go to leave in the mornings....When i reverse down my driveway and then put it into D when i go to accelerate (lightly/normal) it feels like the car hesitates or shudders for a second or two. Its a very light feel i receive and sort of feel the feedback through the accelerator pedal also.
Once i drive off it will never do it again until obviously the next day i go to use the car etc.

Is this kind of thing I'm describing considered normal for the L77/AFM motors or could something else be wrong (really hoping thats not the case)?

Its a late 2013 MY14 model V8 AFM Auto with just over 50k on the clock.
Only managed to change the fuel once so far (not sure what was in it before) to 98 BP Ultimate now.

A few friends i have asked have suggested it could be the fuel or the AFM engaging/disengaging possibly? This is the first Holden I've owned with AFM so i have no clue how this system behaves normally.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Definitely nothing to do with AFM.
Slight hesitation upon very first throttle transition in open loop during warmup, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd mention it at next service, easy fix.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
can be a slight lean event as the throttle is pressed causing it maby before trims are fully active but, if u can log 02's they may show something but if they are too cold they won't yet, but if it's only then and dosnt do it again i wouldn't be to worried just mention it as suggested at service

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks heaps both for the replies :)

Ill be honest i didn't know what open loop / fuel trims meant when i first read both replies but a quick google search is saying thats got something to do with the warm up process ECU/fuel-to-air mix ratio...does that sound right?

Not sure if this is worth mentioning also but I'm warming the car up on average between 5-7 mins before i drive off could this be the culprit? (sorry if that sounds like a silly thought LOL:D)

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Thanks heaps both for the replies :)

Ill be honest i didn't know what open loop / fuel trims meant when i first read both replies but a quick google search is saying thats got something to do with the warm up process ECU/fuel-to-air mix ratio...does that sound right?

Not sure if this is worth mentioning also but I'm warming the car up on average between 5-7 mins before i drive off could this be the culprit? (sorry if that sounds like a silly thought LOL:D)
Warming the car for that length of time is not necessary (and some say harmful) with modern fuel injected motors. I always let the oil warm (5ks or so) before giving the car any stress but warm up isn't needed. Not sure if it is assosciated with your issue.

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Interesting - I have a gas liquid injection VF SSVR that's been tuned and every time I start the car (hot or cold) it hesitates and runs without much power in the 30 seconds that the car runs on petrol before it automatically cuts over to LPG - If I start on petrol with the LPG off it never hesitates and has full power. I think mine hesitates because its probably running a bit too lean during the initial 30 seconds ..

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
A couple of people have mentioned to the OP to bring this issue up with his mechanic at next service. Are you assuming some kind of error code has been triggered or hoping mechanic would leave vehicle overnight and try replicate the issue?

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Warming the car for that length of time is not necessary (and some say harmful) with modern fuel injected motors. I always let the oil warm (5ks or so) before giving the car any stress but warm up isn't needed. Not sure if it is assosciated with your issue.

Yep i know. Its a nasty habit of mine I've got use to (and need to break) from the 'old school' cars I've always driven lol.
Next time i start the car though I'm gonna let it run 30-60 seconds max. Will be curious to see if its from warming it up too much maybe??

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had a chance to use the car this morning and only warmed it up for about 1m 30 secs but it still sorta felt like it did the same thing upon the first initial acceleration with the car.
Not sure if its worth trying maybe to finish the current tank of 98 fuel and fill up with 95 octane if that might be the issue??
Just a thought i had last night thats all...

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
warming the engine up is fine its just that ur using fuel and not moving that some think is the issue for economy but wether it warms up idling or driving is still the same thing, only thing with driving is it warms up everything gearbox diff ect also which is better, from factory CL is from 55 deg ECT, if ur letting it warm up for 5 odd mins then the 02's should have enough heat to show a lean event so if u can log it would be good to see but this issue won't show any codes it's not a code unless it does it bad enough it may show a misfire but i doubt it, u could try some 95 fuel the lower octane will ignite faster so it may have a difference when cold