Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wobbling Harmonic Balancer - 2010 Calais V

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Lumina, 2010 Calais V
Hey all,

Just wondering - it's not yet been 30 days since i got my Calais from a dealership, and have noticed some issues. I figured driving it for a week and keeping an ear/eye out for some stuff would be advisable, and then i could call them back to have them fix whatever ridiculous issues they sold me alongside the car.

I noticed that it's been trembling oddly while idling, and there's a squeaking which *appears* to be from a belt, but i suspect is the HB. Upon looking today, it's wobbling a hell of a lot, but it's hard to tell exactly how much.

Anyway - i've been looking around tonight and have basically decided that upon replacement i'd like to use a powerbond under-driven HB, however; when i contacted the dealership, they spouted some gibberish about being unable to see me until the 2nd of January, which is just past 30 days from when i bought the car. Seems a little too suspicious and convenient. I assumed they were a reputable dealer, being part of a large company, but i seem to have been had.

Does anybody know what process i can undergo now to still have a usable car (thus allowing me to keep my job and feed my family) without practically declaring bankruptcy to pay for the repairs? Or, potentially, (and i know it's a long shot) any mechanics or dealers who would recognise the manufacturer fault which has led to this?

I'm not sure how else to put it, too tired to be more cohesive.

Anyway, as always - any help is appreciated. Thanks.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Accept the booking for Jan 2 if that is the earliest they can attend to it, and send them an email detailing what needs to be attended to.
That way you have detailed the faults before the 30 day whatever it is, which is a crock of krap anyway.

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks man.

The 30 day thing not being legitimate, what do you mean?

I'm just assuming 30 days is what they're giving me, since they didn't specifically outline any timeframe, but 30 days is generally the standard.

Again, thank you for your suggestion, i'll keep it in mind.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm just assuming 30 days is what they're giving me, since they didn't specifically outline any timeframe, but 30 days is generally the standard.

What does your state legislation say about warranties dealer sold second hand vehicles ?

Assuming generally can cost you money. Do the research and know for sure. I'd start with your state department of transport (or equivalent) website.

For example, WA = 3 months statutory warranty (excluding 4wd & comercial vehicles).

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you for suggesting that, it wouldn't have occurred to me that legislation would actually be in my favour.

According to this, it appears to be:
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/your-rig...ucts/buying-a-used-car/warranty-for-used-cars

Also, i suppose that means i can get the cigarette lighter and battery issues sorted too then? (Provided they're not caused bythings the consumer guarantee doesn't cover)

Seems like the lead up to some form of win, i guess.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks man.

The 30 day thing not being legitimate, what do you mean?

Again, thank you for your suggestion, i'll keep it in mind.[/QUOTE

I thought you were saying the dealer told you 30 days warranty.
Book it in with the list of complaints.

alba81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais ve v
Accept the booking for Jan 2 if that is the earliest they can attend to it, and send them an email detailing what needs to be attended to.
That way you have detailed the faults before the 30 day whatever it is, which is a crock of krap anyway.
I had the same problem with my harmonic balancer it's a common problem with the ve ur gonna have to change it well the dealer should anyways good luck mate a mechanic shouldn't charge you more than$100 to install mine did it for $50 it doesn't even take 30min to change

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
@alba81

I booked the car in with the dealer, and they ended up changing the battery and some fuses, replacing a loom, and then telling me the harmonic balancer issue is "perfectly normal" and "doesn't need replacing", as well as saying the fold down dvd player for the rear seats (which i found out recently doesn't play DVDs) is outside what they cover.

So... Back to square one, i guess :p

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If it's a V8 then it is actually pretty normal for the stock balancer to wobble, they did it from new.

My old WM did it for 200,000km so has most others with VE's I know. If your concerned about it then replace it, but they don't seem to fail and Holden won't acknowledge it as a fault.

LS engines overseas in Camaro's are reporting the same thing. It's everywhere.

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any idea what the reason could be for that?

I would have thought there would be unnecessary strain on the belt if they allowed any wobble.

Last edited: