Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wobbly gearstick

frase

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec Wagon V6 Manual
hey all
the gearstick in my manual VSII V6 is wobbly as.
when in gear it has about as much play side to side as it does in neutral (really not exaggerating)
i wanna fix this to make my gearchanges nice and crisp so what im thinking is buying new gear linkages from holden and putting them in. im thinking this should sort it out but im seeing what everyone thinks first as most of you on here know a lot more about this than me...
so if anyone can tell me this is the way to go or if i should do something else or if its an issue that im gonna have to just cop.

thanks in advance!

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
hey all
the gearstick in my manual VSII V6 is wobbly as.
when in gear it has about as much play side to side as it does in neutral (really not exaggerating)
i wanna fix this to make my gearchanges nice and crisp so what im thinking is buying new gear linkages from holden and putting them in. im thinking this should sort it out but im seeing what everyone thinks first as most of you on here know a lot more about this than me...
so if anyone can tell me this is the way to go or if i should do something else or if its an issue that im gonna have to just cop.

thanks in advance!

HAHA i thought you would of got used to it as the rest of us Getrag owners have had too :bang: I myself have got a Billet Shifter coming, you can judge the comparison yourself between the Billet Shifter(Left) and Stock Shifter(Right), i know which one i wanted :)

49895d1217410217-there-any-short-shifter-enhancements-getrag-m34-billet-shifter-vs-holden-shifter.jpg

And heres some extra reading about the problem that many Getrag owners have including myself

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au.../81213-getrag-short-shift-kit.html#post910808
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ny-short-shifter-enhancements-getrag-m34.html

I'm looking forward to this Billet Shifter which should fix the problem i believe but if not i will have to dig into it further and probably follow a similar action as yourself. Although i love the sound of what i have read up on the billet page about this shifter as it is even if it didn't fix the problem, heres a little about it

If you think along the same lines as the team at Billet Products, you would be asking the same question... what the hell was Holden thinking with the standard VS-VY 5spd shifter?! It's a hard deny that the standard shifter is far from enjoyable, let alone inspiring. Billet Products set out to bring back the driving spirit and performance to an otherwise dull experience with the standard shifter. The hard working crew at Billet Products have produced what is arguably the best possible solution to this unfortunate situation all VS-VY owners are faced with in every gear shift of the standard item. As with the entire Billet Pro series range, over 35% throw reduction has been achieved and, as always, an unmatched crisp and precise feel only found in Billet Products shifters.

The standard shift height and position is retained, with each shift body precision CNC machined from specially selected billet aluminium and utilises high grade steel shafts, providing the perfect combination of strength and performance for the most demanding of driving conditions. For the pivot assembly, specially selected high tech materials are used to give incredibly smooth and precise movement. Furthermore, ingeniously designed fully adjustable positive stops add a little extra insurance for your wallet against overshifting and damaging synchros. Anodizing and high tech steel coatings are just the icing on the cake to what are arguably the best shifters on the market, period.

Just for your info this occurred when Holden changed to the Getrag in the VS Series II onwards from the good old Borg Warner T5 in the VS Series I, I still don't know if it was a good or bad move especially when having to replace the Getrag :( Cause its much more expensive being hydraulic then the old cable T5 :bang: Heres the comparison between the two below.

GETRAG

getrag1.gif

Borg Warner T5

vs1.gif

Hope that helps
Matt

Last edited:

frase

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec Wagon V6 Manual
haha damn i thought that might be the case... well thanks at least it saves me trying to fix it.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
haha damn i thought that might be the case... well thanks at least it saves me trying to fix it.

Npz it took me long enough to write it up lol :thumbsup: