Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wobbly/squeeky, driver side rear wheel.. any ideas?

shmickmik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN1 Auto V6
In a previous thread i let everyone know i was going to brissy next week i think it is, and i have gone around and fixed practically everything :D

Except for this...

What happens is that you can hear a squeeking noise that follows the rotation of the wheels. And it is coming from the drivers rear wheel (ALSO i am pretty sure its the passenger rear aswell, but i only hear it when going past parked cars. It may be the drivers rear wheel making the noise im not sure)

Also, apparently from behind the drivers rear wheel is obviously wobbling a bit. To the point a mate told me to park the car because i forgot the do the wheel nuts up. However they were tight as all buggery so it wasnt that.

ANOTHER thing to point out is that the squeek goes AWAY when the brakes are applied.

Sooo to summarise

1) Drivers rear wheel squeeks when moving. Gets faster and louder as the car gains speed.
2) The wheel is wobbly and its not the wheel nuts
3) Sound goes away when applying brakes.
4) Its NOT the wheel as i swapped it over with the spare and there is NO change.

So all i can think of is

A) Warped Hubs
B) Stuffed Pads
c) Stuffed Bearings
D) Handbrake issue?
E) Diff/Axel issue.

Thanks for any help you may offer guys/gals :DD:D:D

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
A) Warped Hubs
B) Stuffed Pads
c) Stuffed Bearings
D) Handbrake issue?
E) Diff/Axel issue.

sums it up check them all and see how ya go

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
could be any or all off the ones listed.
if the wheel wobbles then axle isue is more likley.
best fix would be to get a cheap diff and replace.

shmickmik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN1 Auto V6
dammit... i dont think its a hub or pad issue as i dont feel any shuddering through the pedal at all.

An axel isnt hard to change or anything... just a bit worried on how it happened as it just appeared out of the blue :S I know that when my mate was doing a spotty it makes this wierd sound as if the diff or wheel is crying in pain...

I think ill swap the axel tomorrow.. If that doesnt help ill swap it with brake pads i have. If THATS not it ill swap rotors and bearings.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
jack front of car up and take off wheel and take out bearing and cover it in fresh heavy duty grease and put back ..

my car did it and steering was not the best ... after a repack of grease helped ..

also if you rotors are warped can cause noise and also a wobble at steering wheel when braking.

if you cant do yourself you should be able to get it done for $60-$80 at most places .. if rotors are stuffed then $400 it cost me for rotors and new brakes ..

shmickmik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN1 Auto V6
Thanks for the tip AUSSIEGHOSTRIDER but it was my rear wheels that have the issue :p

Ok we changed the pads and have nothing changed. We did however notice that the brakes are dragging pretty badly compared to the front brakes. We can give the front wheels one big push and they spin by themselves a few rotations. However with the rear brakes you hear the hub scrubbing against the brake pads (old pads and NEW pads), and giving it a hard push only moves 180deg.

Also swapped hubs which did not change a thing.
When we had to push in the piston for the calipers we noticed we had to really smack the pistons as hard as we could! Maybe the calipers are getting stuck and dragging on the hub??

BUT we found the actualy issue :p It HAS to be the axel bearings.. We jacked up the rear so the wheels were off the ground and supported by axel stands and popped it in drive to spin the wheels. After a few 100rpm we notcied a sound which turned into a crunching/scrapping/deathly rattle coming from the exact location of the axel bearings. When in reverse we dont hear the sound, only in drive. Its strange because this sound doesnt occur when the car is on the ground and driving? I am thining because the axels have to rely on the bearings to keep straight, the bearings are showing signs of failure due to not being able to support the weight of the axels? I dunno lol

To summarise:

1) Are the brake pads meant to drag a little on the rear discs? To the point where u cannot spin it more then 180deg with one big push? If not why do the calipers push the pads in so far that they rub?

2) We tried taking the axel's out but gotto the point where we needed to undo the 4 bolts behind the handbrake mechanisim. How do you remove the shoes to get access to teh bolts? The socket wont fit over teh but because the shoes are wedged against the nuts.

Thanks guys :D

*****EDIT******

We swapped the diff oil today and it was like MUD.. thick gloopy fluid dripped out. and ... IT.... S T A N K!!!!!!

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
you can get a socket in by moving the hand break Assembly or shoes around a bit then you can maneuver the mount plate off between the shoes you will need to use a sledge hammer or something to make the axle come lose