Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wolf3D Ver 4 Any help

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Have fitted a Wolf 3D to control the ignition system of a VK commodore EST black motor with a turbo fitted. It is Carby fed not EFI. I am using a MSD 6AL (well 6462 BTM actualy but is just a 6AL with a MAP sensor fitted so you can retard it with boost) as an igniter for the coil.
The engine starts and runs with this setup, I want to try and tune it. as a base I have the ignition advance set to 15 deg adv at every rpm and load piont so am thinking that would be like having a locked distributor set to 15 deg adv correct??
Am going to go out and bump it up to 20 when I finnish here. I have the in built MAP sensor hooked up plus have the water temp hooked up, has an O2 sensor fitted. NO TPS Is fired by the EST crank trigger.
Does anyone know if a MSD 6462 or 6AL have an inbuilt ignition map? Do they have an inbuilt advance curve?
The manual has a section on Idle Speed control, This relates to an IAC or air fast idle bleed valve correct??
So I would just turn off for my setup??
What would be a correct setting for Ignition discharge time min and max ??
What is overall ignition trim?? should it be set to 0??
Is the EST crank trigger a High output reluctor or Low output reluctor??
I think my MAP sensor gives me my load reading. How do I set the ignition curve up to drop timing advance as boost pressure increases??
I am sure I have more questions but suppose I will wait to see if my post gets any responses first. I am finding info on the Wolf3D is hard to come by unless you pay for it, But I want to learn to set and understand my ECU thanks.

4wheelinls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ralliart
I'm not sure about the MSD having an advance curve, generally MSD would have a distributor with mechanical advance and boost retard is usually electronic, is there a MAP reference to the MSD? If you are using the stock distributor from the EST system I think from memory they are Hall effect not reluctor trigger. You don't need to worry about the idle speed if you have no idle speed motor. The coil dwell (charge/discharge depends on the coil and type of ignition module. Some modules do their own dwell control and only use the igntion output as a trigger (referred to often as smart and dumb igniters). Overall igniton twin adds or subtracts timing form the entire map, zero is good, it allows for large sweeping changes. Not much point in the o2 sensor unless it is a wide band that you are using for tuning. The load scale is configurable and you need to look into the software to see what the scale is set for. The internal MAp is good for 2.5 BAR or about 22 psi of boost with the top load scale 107% being 22 psi if the scale is set to use the full scale of the MAP. There is a bit to getting the setup right and tuned correctly, I know you are keen to it for yourself but I'd suggest getting it on a dyno.

Cheers

Joel

Joel