Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wombles LJ Torana 2 door. (3rd car)

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
33% is fine. So is 50%. Just don't go more than 50 or less than 30......lol

----500rwhp corn juiced & boosted ls1----

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
No help Enroh. Haha.

The amount of rust and **** in the block was disturbing. Gave it a good flush. I'll finish the job later.. Just need to put the modified cover on, fan and radiator in. Then fluid.. Hopefully that's all it needed. Next is to find where it leaks oil.. and adjust the carby to run nicely.
Then that should be engine done.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
dont need coolant, is most just antifreeze anyway. totally useless in older engines. just need to add some anti coagulent if you wanna use straight tap water.

the carby i would have no idea about mate. i think youll find the adjustments on it are sealed up. other than that there will just be the idle stop screw. its a long process, and if you havnt got a vac guage, totally useless.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
dont need coolant, is most just antifreeze anyway. totally useless in older engines. just need to add some anti coagulent if you wanna use straight tap water.

Ummm. Hope your joking.

You use antifreeze/coolant/inhibitor because with the glycol it lowers freezing point and raises the boiling point, most have rust inhibitors in them. Also I never use tap water, even on old iron blocks. Demineralised water is cheap and also helps to raise boiling point.
If you run more than a 50% mix of coolant you runthe risk of the coolant "coagulating"(thanks for the word ari) and also it will actually lower the boiling point, the same as if the mixture is too weak. Too strong and it will induce rust and electrolysis.

If ya want you can run straight demineralised water with a few squirts of dishwashing liquid. Works very similiar to coolant/inhibitor and doesn't cause much of a mess when it leaks.

----500rwhp corn juiced & boosted ls1----

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Righteo. Thought there would be a fuel mix adjustment too..
Will have to pull the lid off the top and have a look.

Where would you get anti coagulant?
Wouldn't coolant be a safe way to go anyway?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Wombles

Regarding the carby first. Can you post a couple of pics from front and side? I'm trying to remember what those old buggers ran. Somewhere, a single side-draught keeps coming to mind....

Anti-coagulant - well, flushing the system thoroughly will get rid of most rubbish and any congealed coolant in the system. You can also add a caustic solution designed to remove scale and rust throughout the system, but you might find it's so caustic it erodes rusted welsh plugs and the engine springs leaks like my mates 202 did years ago. Still, it's worth a go, because if the welsh plugs are old and rusty, which they certainly will be, they will probably let go on you at the most inconvenient time.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Think I'll just go coolant. Better Safe than sorry.

I'll get pics tomorrow as its basically dark and I'm not home..

Thanks Calaber.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Ummm. Hope your joking.

i wasnt :p

and another dodgie-ari-backyard-special: a tab of the **** you put in your dishwasher with the red ball in it cleans lime scale and alllll sorts of **** from inside the cooling system. i stuck a tab in my VK and drove it to work and back, did a proper radiator out 'panning for gold' flush which i had done a few times before, but this time all sorts of extra **** came out.

not really any discernable difference in temps afterwards tho.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Carby is either a Zenith 36 IV. Just reading the book now.
Wish it was the Zenith 36 IVT. Auto choke. Haha.

Want to adjust the carby so it doesn't run off the choke. That's the only way it idles. When push all the way in it dies.. can have it half way out to run nicely.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
4 or so 202's in the past always ran water in them never had an issue. used to give them a flogging and thought they were fast......