Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wombles LJ Torana 2 door. (3rd car)

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
BOC is the Morwell one. I see they have the same price vic wide.

Brake bleeding was a fail. Just had me and a bottle.. A bottle with hose on it..
Pedal still hits the floor. By rights it should be good. New master, new calipers, new wheel cylinders.
So to organise a mate and hopefully re do it tomorrow..
Engine sounds like it has a miss.. Will work that eventually.

Keen for sat.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
brake bleeding alone isnt easy, but its do-able. just need a bottle with a CLEAR hose in it all the way to the bottom, always needs to be 1/3'rd full of fluid and sitting higher than the bleed nipple.

unlock the nipple
pump the brake till bottle is full (2/3rds including the 1/3rd already in there)
inspect the hose for air *note* there will always be clouding, clouding is usually from air getting in from the nipple. but if there are actual bubbles, keep pressing the pedal
tighten the nipple as fast as you can.
repeat on all 4 wheels

always start with the BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER! if the MC doesnt have a nipple the crack the 2 lines and drape a rag over them. once youve bled them (maybe 2-3 pumps) then the furtherst brake from the MC. so, passenger rear, drivers rear, passenger front, drivers front.

its good practice to do the finger test on all fittings once youve bled them. i.e. dry your finger on a rag and touch every joint in the brake system. look at your finger and if any wetness, then tighten that fitting or repair/replace.

its totally do-able alone. i do it all the time. although i use a vacuum hand pump which makes it a bit easier.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a one man brake bleeder. Had a magnet on the bottle. Place bottle at the highest point possible using the magnet that's attached to it. Put the tip inside the nipple hole, crack the nipple, watch.
Best piece I have had.
How would I tell if the MC is ####ed?

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a good thing cause we may have not bled that when first installed.. Hopefully I get a pedal feel when I bleed it next..

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
itll bleed out eventually, but doing it first means that it wont take as long to get a decent bleed to the pass rear and pass front (assuming you have seperate lines for front and rear)

otherwise you may do a bleed on the inital air pocket, only to find there is another pocket on its way, which you end up airating by testing the pedal feel, then need to start over.

edit* also you only need to bleed the MC if its been dried out. if you stored it with some fluid in it (which you shouls ALWAYS do) then no need for that step.

some people call it bench bleeding too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
It was a brand new one..
Bought a brake bleeder. One man.
Attempted the bleed. Came out no bubbles. Mate comes over, pumps it up and BAM air pocket comes out. Pedal feel feels great. This is on the rear. Brake feel now feels great! Hooray!

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
So, new shoes and carpet for this has been bought.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Who has advice for cutting these panels out?