Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wondering how quick a hot wh will go?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So, who won?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
His wallet :)

H

harrop.senator

This ^ had three days work in the last fortnight n the car needs a lot more work then expected wont be taking it over til ive atleast pulled the sump it leaks way to much atm to pass scrutineering. I was hoping to have much more progress on it by now but no cash unfortunately.

ivyssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ivy ssv
don't forget to post project pics an vids too mate

H

harrop.senator

Will do lost my job few weeks ago so everything's slowed right down. Motors currently dissasembled.

Disassembled the heads last night. Waiting on some coin to buy some ally burs and paper scrolls so I can start porting the head.

Think I've finally decided on the new cam too.

ivyssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ivy ssv
Will do lost my job few weeks ago so everything's slowed right down. Motors currently dissasembled.

Disassembled the heads last night. Waiting on some coin to buy some ally burs and paper scrolls so I can start porting the head.

Think I've finally decided on the new cam too.
oooo what cam did you decide mate

H

harrop.senator

Undecided between the ASA high lift cam 227/237 @ .050 .600" lift 110 lsa and the tick performance saturday night special torque max 2 227/235 @ .050 .618 .605 110 LSA.

Pac 1219x .625" lift beehives

Hardened .080 pushrods

Billet timing set

I'm wanting to shave the heads down .030 but depends on how much the machinist is happy to take off without me needing to grind down the alloy intake manifold as takes it from $180 to $400 . One machinist said .020 max without machining manifold but some guys on net are saying anything up to .040 is fine.

I'm hoping for 10.5-10.7:1 . Ws6 store recommends machining 241 heads
030 with the ASA high lift cam without running into PTV issues. They also have Texas speed grind the stick and Texas speed garaunteed base circle is factory and recommend running them for to dot with a high quality timing set. So I'll be able to run 7.375 pushrods and maintain proper lifter pre load or .005 more.

Theirs a lot bigger cams on the market that are apparently fine for 3.5 stalls and I'm assuming this one will flash higher with weight and torque. I find they always under recommend a stall and I don't want to bog out the hole with the tallish gears and a lot of weight.

H

harrop.senator

God I miss having money. Currently been hand cleaning the heads in a diesel bath brushes , Emery cloth etc.

Really don't notice how good the $60 a head acid dip prices are until you try doing it all by hand lol.

About 2/3rds the way through and about three hours into the castings alone.

Cleaned up and polished all the valves , a little worried about a couple exhausts. May have over polished the seat it's lost the seat lip and has smoothed out a little too much.

Exhaust valves had pretty pitted seat. Will cut the rest out with a hefty lap rather then risk polishing them and changing the profile too dramatically.

Won't be hard or expensive to find a couple more stockers to clean up. Have found no cracks no excessive det marks.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Oven cleaner's amazing on heads, carby's blocks etc. Need to be careful that you neutralise the caustic straight away afterwards though - it eats in pretty quickly, especially on alloy parts. So wash with vinegar then coat with WD40.

Those valves don't look the best - I'd definitely source replacements as you said. I'm sure you'd be able to find a couple of new replacements very cheap.