Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WON'T START OR CRANK OVER

Jessinator

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Commodore Executive 3.8
Drove home from a mates, parked up and turned her off... Next morning couldn't get it to start. Fast forward 6 months I've replaced battery, spark plugs and starter motor...
While I was trying to maneuver the new starter motor in my BIRD BRAIN mate hooked the battery back up as I was connecting the little purple wire and I got zapped... Now it no longer ticks when turning the key and doesn't wind over at all, she's just completely silent. I figured there's no power going from battery to starter motor. Yet to put the new Aeroflow replacement fuel pump kit in and get new starter fuse and F/P fuse. I've tested the alternator it still works. New battery terminals and leads, wires connecting to the fuses were checked and all seem to be good... Interior light works, headlights work... Indicators don't work, break lights don't work.

What else would be worth checking/replacing?
Yet to get spark plug leads, coil packs, and at least clean the jets and fuel lines. YouTube, car forums and manuals have gotten me this far and now I've just hit a DEAD END, AND I NEED HELP!!!

Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I assume that you've checked the fuses in under the dashboard and in the engine compartment plus the fusible links in the engine compartment.
If they look OK check that your getting 12V at the starter solenoid wire when the key is switched to start.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
OK you checked all the fuses and links, but have you tested for power at each fuse and link?

top line

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan V6 3.800
I would also consider looking at the ignition barrel areas electric's and also the all the earths as well.

Jessinator

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Commodore Executive 3.8
I assume that you've checked the fuses in under the dashboard and in the engine compartment plus the fusible links in the engine compartment.
If they look OK check that your getting 12V at the starter solenoid wire when the key is switched to start.

I’ve checked all the fuses under the dash they look okay and all the relay fuses have been replaced. Yet to get a multimeter and test the solenoid wire.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It definitely sounds like the fuseable link in the relay panel. Try replacing it and see what happens.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
What about the starter relay?
This is a good place to start checking- you don't have to get under the car for one thing. From memory it's in the relay box, front row second from the left.
The fusible link you want is the one in the middle of the fusible link box.
I know your lights are also out but if you have an auto make sure the safety switch on the selector isn't locking the engine out.