Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Work Needing Doing

caulfield6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive V6
Hiya guys,

Bit of an amateur with my new-secondhand 2002 vy.
I just took it in for a 150k service, and was given a list of things which needed repair, or at least to the mechanic.

What i would like is an opinion on the price or the ease which they can be fixed at home, by me with minimal tools, and/or the urgency of each one:

The list given was:
Washer inserts streaky : Cost: 22 AUD
Front wheel alignment off centre (minor) : No price given
Coolant flush - with slightly rusty cap, water seems rusty: 120 AUD (28 AUD for replacement cap)
Drive Belt starting to crack : 110 AUD
Front Caster brushes cracked: 445 AUD
Front Sway links have play ; 120 AUD (adjustable? replaceable?)
Engine Mounts Collapsed: 395 AUD
Rear extension Housing seal leaking: 145
Rear shockers leaking : 330

Being amateur at this, I dont want to rush into any large fixes being un informed. I have access to tools, and appropriate equipment, and was wondering if any required parts could be acquired at a wreckers? All for minimal cost?

Any help is much appreciated.

Pat

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
In a word no... Don't see the point replacing olds parts with err um old parts..

Anything to do with suspension will require aliments ect how ever I can't see why you couldn't replace the rear shocks, serpentine belt (cost no where near that price) and engine mounts yourself and I assume you meant wiper inserts? Can't see why you couldn't sort that as well.. I'd personally do some ringing around and get prices for the other bits.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Front end part wear is often over diagnosed imho - however, a tight front end is a joy. Let's assume the work does need doing.
I reckon prices stated are not excessive - but there is room to save a few bucks fairly easily.

Washer inserts streaky : Cost: 22 AUD - DIY $8
Coolant flush/rusty cap: 120 AUD - flush yourself, coolant and new cap $60 - there are how to's - be sure to take notes.
Drive Belt starting to crack : 110 AUD - replace yourself $50

Ring around - get caster brushes and link pins fitted followed by wheel alignment at the same time, don't get new front tyres without doing this and keep an eye on your tyre wear. If front tyre wear is okay, then this lot can wait.
Front wheel alignment off centre (minor) : No price given
Front Caster brushes cracked: 445 AUD
Front Sway links have play ; 120 AUD (adjustable? replaceable?)

Engine Mounts Collapsed: 395 AUD
$50 each. Passenger side is tricky, drivers side relatively easy to do yourself.
Get under and check condition for yourself.

Rear shockers leaking : 330 - very easy to DIY - $150 for decent gear.

caulfield6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive V6
Cheers guys. I guess the first thing to do it get a Haynes or similar manual.
I was thinking that the way he told me the issues that there want an urgent need for them, but they just want me as a customer. Hah.
Thanks again, I think I will DIY, for the most at least. I appreciate the help.

What do i look for on the mounts to see if they're worth reaplacing?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The best way to learn is to try doing it yourself. Get the Haynes or Ellery's manual, for sure. They isn't the best for the VY and VZ, as they tends to focus on VT and VX, then have scant details on the two later models, but for suspension, steering and brakes, they're ok.

Don't tackle complex jobs first time round without having assistance from someone who knows what they are doing. You should be able to do all the things listed apart from the suspension bushes and even those can be done once you have acquired the required experience and knowledge.

The engine mounts are oil-filled and when they cark it, they compress, so that the sump is very close to or touches the cross member. Check your car against some other similar models to see if your engine is sitting lower than it should. The Ellery's manual is absolutely useless for removing and replacing engine mounts - it doesn't even mention how to do it, so perhaps the Haynes manual is better.