Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Working Solution to Retrofit VF2 Bimodal mufflers

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I am currently working on a controller for the bimodal valves and hope to have a working production version is about 3-4 weeks.
It can be controlled by Bluetooth, Toggle switch, push button. Next on my list is an add on to connect to the OBD2 port to give functions like open at a certain throttle position or RPM. But thats not tested yet.

This is a first prototype board
View attachment 200123

Has this progressed to an on car, working solution ?

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Has this progressed to an on car, working solution ?
Yes it is. The biggest problem I have at the moment is finding power at the back to run the mufflers as an ignition device so it doesn't draw power when accessories are on or the power is off. Haven't had a lot of time to work on it in the past couple of months.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Needs more LEDs

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I am currently working on a controller for the bimodal valves and hope to have a working production version is about 3-4 weeks.
It can be controlled by Bluetooth, Toggle switch, push button. Next on my list is an add on to connect to the OBD2 port to give functions like open at a certain throttle position or RPM. But thats not tested yet.

This is a first prototype board
View attachment 200123
Clever!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Good job, I think the original research bloke in the US passed away but the evolution system mentioned use a wired CANBUS sniffer to trigger butterfly position, not OBD.
That would be interesting and reliable, then maybe traditional dip switches for mode rather than Bluetooth to phone.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
John, certainly a market for pre-VF conversion and any other car willing to use those mufflers, congratulations on your elegant solution. I guess I should have asked for mine back, they might have been marketable new parts, as they only had 140km on them when I had them yanked out.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That would be interesting and reliable, then maybe traditional dip switches for mode rather than Bluetooth to phone.

Agreed.....better than using a phone whilst driving if one needs to change from one to the other on the fly.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
John, certainly a market for pre-VF conversion and any other car willing to use those mufflers, congratulations on your elegant solution. I guess I should have asked for mine back, they might have been marketable new parts, as they only had 140km on them when I had them yanked out.
Because most exhaust shops can't wire up the valves to work, they usually ditch them or sell them off cheap. I picked up my two mufflers with electric valves for $175 and they look as good as new.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Good job, I think the original research bloke in the US passed away but the evolution system mentioned use a wired CANBUS sniffer to trigger butterfly position, not OBD.
I already have support of either a toggle switch or a momentary push button switch. The Bluetooth option was simple because I didn't want to start drilling holes and running wires all would the car. On the drawing board is also a feature to use the phones GPS, for example, keep it quiet at home and around my neighborhood.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Because most exhaust shops can't wire up the valves to work, they usually ditch them or sell them off cheap. I picked up my two mufflers with electric valves for $175 and they look as good as new.

one reason why the vac controlled units are VERY hard to find
they are a doddle to setup, connect and then use (on the go)