Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Workout Thread - Questions here on Workouts/Exercises

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Just an experience and question from tonight... Doing bicep curls did 3 sets, first one I got to 8 and felt good so pumped out 10, second set I only managed 7 but still felt good as I just couldn't get the last rep... on the last set however I only managed 4 reps but was again struggling to get it any way up...

The question, although you would expect the 3 sets of 8 reps to be better, due to definitely tearing the muscle was I better off doing the max reps I could each set or better off doing the 3 sets of 8?

Nope. See the idea behind building muscle is continuous training to failure over a set volume of reps. Split that over a number of sets. I try and aim for 30 reps on any given exercise.

I try and 'pyramid' up every exercise. I.e. start with a weight I can get 10-12 reps out on with perfect form. Bump it up next set and aim for 8-10 (go for 12 if you can). Next set up it again and go for 6-8. Depending on how many reps you get out in each set determines how many sets you do. Don't go in with the mindset of doing 3sets of 8 reps. What you want to focus on is training to failure at heaviest weight with perfect form within a desired rep range.

As I said above, I aim for 30 reps per exercise. Depending on how each set goes, determines how far up I push the weight and how many sets I do.

I call it 'intuitive' training, because you train the muscle group at a desired volume of reps which results in failure which will tear muscle fibres.

To answer your question in point blank form. No I would not have stayed with the initial weight you did and you weren't better off doing 8, 7 and 4 reps. That's a total of 19 reps. Not enough. Take what I explained above on board. Pyramid up your sets and try and hit your rep ranges.

Hey Guys thought i may as well post what i am doing if anyone is interested or wants to comment.

2-3 times per week full body at least one days break between training.

Squat 3x8 do both
Deads 3x8 do both
bench 3x10
Rows 3x10
MP 3x10
Close Grip Bench Press
Add in some abs if i have time.

of if i know i am only going to make it say MON, TUE, Thurs i will do Push Mon, Pull Tue, then the above full body on THur.

Example of Push
squat 3x8
bench 3x10
MP 3x10
dips 3xBW to failure super set Tricep pull downs
Pushups 3xTo Failure

Example of Pull
Deads 3x8
Lat pull 3x10 (More of an isolation exercise) - Perhaps do T-Bar Rows?
Bent over Barbell Rows 3x10
Reverse Grip Cable Tri Pull Down - Super Set with Cable Bicep Curl

any comments?

Not a bad split. Since you're aiming for 2-3 times a week and wanting to do full body. I would try and utilise ONLY big compound exercises. Small semi-isolation or isolation exercises are not what you want to be aiming for.

If I could offer any advice (you've done a good job of selecting which ones so far :) ), replace your close grip pull downs with close grip barbell bench press.

I've added a couple of suggestions in bold, in your quoted post above :)

good work mate.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Nope. See the idea behind building muscle is continuous training to failure over a set volume of reps. Split that over a number of sets. I try and aim for 30 reps on any given exercise....

To answer your question in point blank form. No I would not have stayed with the initial weight you did and you weren't better off doing 8, 7 and 4 reps. That's a total of 19 reps. Not enough. Take what I explained above on board. Pyramid up your sets and try and hit your rep ranges.

not saying this is wrong, however there is always options, and a variety of rep ranges / set structures that all lead you to build muscle.
I wouldnt be encouraging a novice to pyramid every set and train to failure. 19 reps at a work weight can be enough it depends how you structure your routine.

As long as you are increasing the weight, or increasing the reps over time, (i.e. progressive overload) then you will grow.

Ed - how long have you been training and what does your routine look like? doing random things makes it harder to track your progress if you are a beginner

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Is there a better time of the day to workout? morning, afternoon or evening?

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
The best leg exercises are:
Squats, 5 sets, 8-10 reps
Hack squat, 5 sets 8-10reps
Leg extension 3 sets, 15reps
Leg curls, 3 sets, 15reps

I did that 2 days ago and im still feelin it, got trained by a personal trainer. Real good stuff. Got heaps of different exercises for each muscle group too if anyones interested :)

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Mine atm goes as follows:

Stretch

Kettle bell swings x12 reps
Tricep extensions x12
12 burpee chinups

Repeat 3 times

Kettle bell swings x12 reps
Bicep curls x12
12 burpee chinups

repeat set 3 times

400m run @60% on the treadmill

repeat this entire set 3 times

50 pushups

100 sit ups on bosu ball

really simple, has been working well and doesnt take long, so if you dont have alot of time on your hands, its great

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
No it doesnt matter as long as you get it done

correct, some will argue cardio is better in mornings to stim metab plus better to obviously run around on an empty stomach, well for some anyway