Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worn lifters

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm probably going to replace them regardless, when the heads come off. It is an extra $240 but probably minor all things considered when the heads alone could be around the $1k mark just for machining and parts. I'm looking at Delphi lifters so they should be US made.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Could be your lifters pumping up if you have old flogged out valve springs.

I'd say the springs would be soft. Age is unknown as is mileage, as I don't think the engine is the factory original. Although GMH weren't the best with proper record keeping back in the early 90s from what I have been told. So it's anyones guess. Cluster has been swapped so proper mileage will never be known.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep, it could be a multitude of things, especially in an engine that's been pulled down and reassembled many times.
I don't think engine had original crank bearings when it was torn half down. Both sets were first OS. Who ever did the original work only done a partial job though, as you know chain and parts were worn out. Yet comp figure were quite decent. No oil burning apart from the 500ml every 5k, as it should. It would be interesting to have the current heads dismantled and checked for wear but too long off the road to have them built, three weeks or more wait, for machining work. It could be something I have done just for curiosity but 80 - 100 bucks just to have them measured probably a waste. If they held some value I would drop them off for a report.