Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worn lsd on solid axle

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Has anyone had experience with a worn factory LSDs making small noise and some shudder when accelerating hard(just before breaking traction) and especially after/during turning right...checked out centre bearing and cv and trans mount and its all tight and at high speed tailshaft no noise no shudder and smooth

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I have experienced it at times I have needed to put my foot down more than normal and it's going right, on the same annoying corner that some house decided to stick a 5' fence blocking the view of on coming traffic. I never gave it much thought really I had other cars do the same thing before.

H

harrop.senator

It could be the cone jamming to lock. Usually when this stuff happens its a non lsd car and it's the sun gears have wear in them if its an internal issue.

What are your back shocks like and trailing Arm bushes? Tramp is usually the issue of to much grip and suspension Play or bad geometry. When the wheels spin it takes a lot of stress off the suspension.

I have a cracked lower trailing arm Bush in the left side of the diff in my vs and you can feel it take up and tramp first five ten metres on anything over a third throttle .

H

harrop.senator

Also if your mechanical you can fix the lsd to lock up harder for like $40 including the goo n new diff oil...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Also if your mechanical you can fix the lsd to lock up harder for like $40 including the goo n new diff oil...

Please explain? I reckon along with everything thing else on the ute apart from what I've replaced, the LSD would be worn out no doubt. Would this goo sort it for 40 bucks?

H

harrop.senator

The goo doesn't sort it out its for the cover plate the actual fix is less then a dollar.

Remove crown wheel.
Seperate lsd and remove cones.
Find a washer that seats the spring and rear of cone well.
Hold washer next to tapered side of cone and paint pen following the whole way around the cone.
Get an 80 grit buffing disc on your grinder take it down to the line or just above and then chamfer a slight angle going round so it's less likely to cut up the receiver as bad.
Super glue the washer to the spring so it doesn't spit it when you re assemble and compress the spring. Do this to both cones.

A lot of shop just install a shim behind it. But by spacing it further out and reducing the nose of it so it doesn't lock instantly will push it deeper into the recess and has a larger area to wear before it doesn't lock correctly anymore.

Kerens Ute chirped in car Parks first thousand kms she sooked so I out an extra lsd additive in to soften it up. 30k later I can't have one wheel on the floor and turn the other tyre by hand without absolute full force and I lift daily so not the weakest of people.... I don't have another vehicle ive done it and done more then 30k to tell you how long spirited Street driving takes to wear them out.

Hers has singled out twice since then but I was throwing an Na v6 with pacies and a getrag into corners in third at 80 with 235 s and it just couldn't over power both tyres. With these cone diffs if it ever spins one get off the gas instantly to try help it last longer before it rips into the receiver free spinning.

Last edited by a moderator:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds fairly straight forward. I was gonna drop the oil in the diff fairly soon but I will just check the level now and add the above mod to the list for the holis in Dec. I have all the gear so won't cost me a thing. Standard LSD oil is ok in VR's right? Or do they need special additive?

H

harrop.senator

The additives now actually put in the lsd oils. They never used to be so you'd buy your diff oil and then add it in afterwards. Its almost impossible just to find the additive now without ordering it lol.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know some V8 Commodore's later ones 2010-2012, around then had a special additive that you have to buy from GMH according to my old diff builder and it was around 50-60 bucks a little bottle. I thought the VR just used regular LSD oil nothing special but just confirming as I don't have an owners manual. Right though I can't remember the last time I seen LSD additive on the shelf.

H

harrop.senator

The ve onwards ones pretty sure are zf and a clutch plate set up. Additive will be for the clutch packs if so. Kaaz clutch pack lsds use a dedicated oil that needs replacing every 5k at $65 a litre.