Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worn Out Remote Key Buttons

ToddMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005
Hi all,

After reading a few posts earlier this year about replacing worn key buttons I bought a set on EBay for my VZ Commodore as the rubber buttons on mine had cracked and split (the missus fingernails I reckon). The replacement buttons were easy to fit and being more like silicone than rubber they seem more resilient. The buttons on my spare key have been on the way out for some time and finally cracked last week so I went online to buy another set, came across www.KeyButtons.com.au, they specialize in Commodore key buttons.
I bought a set online and they seem better than the ones from EBay and they also have raised padlock icons on the door buttons, and they are cheaper…
:thumbsup:

nuradh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ
i agree , dont go to the dealers buy it on ebay and it does the same job.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Here is the ones I got for my VT, have been pretty good.

Polmex

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
How are they held in, are they just a push in tight fit, if so are they likely to come lose and fall out, or do they have a lip of some sort that clips under the outer case, looking at the web sites it looks like the original ones are fitted from inside and have some form of lip to retain them, I am interested in getting a set but just curious as to how they are secured.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
They have a lip on them. Just have to make sure that most of the old rubber is removed from under the holes. I found the replacement buttons much cheaper than a whole new key.
Qualitiy is good also.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
i remember a little while ago there was an AD in SM for those. they were alot stronger and could come in almost any colour. and quite cheap as well

nuradh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ
I bought a hole key shell with a blade and the screws that hold the two halves exept for the circit board inside for $23 on e bay, and that is pretty good quality. Way cheaper than a dealer.

ToddMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005
Worn Buttons

The website I bought my second lot of buttons from claimed that the stem that contacts the electronics inside the key is better than what's inside original holden buttons, I don't have an original key with Holden buttons anymore to test the claim.
But I did compare the Polmex replacement buttons I have in one key and the new ones from www.keybuttons.com.au in the other. For what it is worth the keybutton ones are more responsive than the polmex ones, it must be the design of the stem as they claim as both are made from silicone and feel similar.:beer chug: