Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worn Steering Gear?

raywise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive 3.8 & VS Berlina 3.8
Oh boy, I have been neglecting my VP a bit lately. Jacked the car up today to measure the front disc thickness as brakes are squealing a bit, and squealed like a girl myself when I saw BOTH front tyres are worn on the inside edge down to the steel. The centre and outside edge of both are pretty good.

The steering on this car is pretty much all over the place when driving, and I know that its time to get it checked pronto. Its done around 180000ks', so is it usually the steering box that gets done now, or linkage bushes, tie rod ends etc?. The way it feels on the road now, I would say all of the above, but I'll get a good steering /susp shop to check it properley.

With my VS Berlina in getting a reco engine at the moment, these 2 holdens are cetainly getting some very expensive TLC!!

Hoo Roo

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
could be everything could be nothing. Might need lots of stuff from new shocks to tie rods to sway bar etc etc etc.. But then again it may only need a wheel alignment. You really should take it down to either a GOOD mechanic or pedders or something.

raywise

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your not kidding!! Since I got the company car, my usual weekend checking etc of my other 2 cars has been a bit slack. But, this has been a wake up call. I have never let my tyres before get to this worn stage, I'm still shaking my head.:b:

The only places this VP is driving to this week will be Bob Janes and probably Peddars. ;)

Hoo Roo

raywise

Reaction score
Members Ride
:) Well there you go. Will pick up the VP from Peddars tomorrow, then wisk it across the road to Bob Janes for some nice new tyres. $1700.00 worth of new front end components and $600.00 of nice Maxxis tyres will certainly make it drive like it should. :dance:

Hoo Roo

raywise

Reaction score
Members Ride
Expensive, but worth it seeing we are keeping both cars now. Picked up the VS Berlina after dropping the VP off at Peddars, gave my mechanic $3900.00 for a good reco engine, plus a heap of new bits, ahhh, gotta love your Holdens!

Hoo Roo