Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worst holden sales in 70 years

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not my point, Forg. I was merely saying that you rarely see a Commodore or Ford towing vans these days. But go back 15 or so years or so, right back to HR years and basically every family who had a van towed it with a Falcon or Commodore and up until Chryslers pulled out of Aust they too were used as tow vehicles.

Absolutely Commodores were popular basically every man and his dog owned a Falc or Commo back in the day. I grew up in a Holden Family. As you would know back in the day you were either a Holden man or Ford man.

Unfortunately the way things were our domestic market couldn't support car manufacturing on it's own as our population is too low.
Although having said that I wonder if Commodore sales might have increased a fair amount now that Ford's pulled out but we will never know. Unfortunately I think as other have said; the big knobs had decided the fate of Elizabeth many years before the plant actually closed.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
As you would know back in the day you were either a Holden man or Ford man.
Or a freak, I was one of those ... :D

In fact, a total lack of loyalty to the red or the blue (cars or plasticine!) probably means I guess I'm more likely to be in the target-market for a ZB than most on this forum ... they've not pissed me off with their marketing & general disloyalty. :)
So if I'm not interested ...

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Really only struck me when I was watching an SUV ad on TV this afternoon...can’t even recall what make (that’s how little they interest me) but what struck me was Mum in the front turning around to a spacious 2nd row with just a pre-schooler.... & of course the obligatory smiles all round.

No maker is going to produce an ad showing a happy family in any sort of sedan quite probably ever again. Even the Stinger ad is a lone driver supposedly having some driving enjoyment. The last VFs ads only ever featured at best, two adults in the front. ZB (apart from the odd Tourer) will never sell to families.

No Stinger, Mustang, VF2 or any sort of performance orientated car is ever going to sell to families in any numbers no matter how good it is either. Even more so, no family is ever going to appear in an ad hooking up a caravan to a sedan full of kids. Then there are retirees who by and large are suffering too much from arthritis, bad backs etc etc (some obese also) - only ever going to tow or live with an SUV.
Young singles will buy a smaller (& often cheaper due to still building wealth) warm/hot hatch....no room for families in them.

So the cool sedans will only ever now be for the enthusiast Dad or Mum who is fortunate enough to have the extra cash for a week-ender....or like me with the kids left home and still not too old or crippled up to be able to get down into a sedan easily (not taking that for granted nor gloating, just thankful).

All the above, in retrospect, is more than obvious but the ‘family’ sedan is no more :(

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not my point, Forg. I was merely saying that you rarely see a Commodore or Ford towing vans these days. But go back 15 or so years or so, right back to HR years and basically every family who had a van towed it with a Falcon or Commodore and up until Chryslers pulled out of Aust they too were used as tow vehicles.

Towing a caravan or alikes with a Commodore upto the VS (unsure after that), they used to stretch to the point the back doors would open themselves....I know there was a tow pack bought out some where along the lines, which as part of the package, had a couple of bars that bolted in the boot (can't remember the bolt up points), which helped solve this issue

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The tow pack reinforcement bars were already introduced in late VB and used right up to the end of VS.