Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth buying a l67 commodore in 2017?? engine lifespan??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Holdenv6Hsvv8, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Holdenv6Hsvv8

Holdenv6Hsvv8 New Member

Members Ride:
    looking: Ecotec/l67
    Hi everyone I'm in Victoria and looking buying my first car I recently found out that I could drive a super6 if I apply for a lower performance car exemption from vic roads I would be able to drive one of the supercharged v6s as long it is not advertised as a sports model and is with a power to weight ratio in between 100kw and 125kw. So all the super6s fit into that category EXCEPT for the xu6 and s pack which is fine because they came out on the Berlina and Calais and possibly exec (not 100%)

And you can confirmed on vicroads website and there vehicle database

Now what I wanna ask is what kinda lifespan do these l67s have. I know the ecotecs are pure machines when it comes to reliability. I'm just not sure with the factory blowers do they wear out?? Or are they fine unless they have been pushed hard with smaller pulleys creating 15+ psi.
    Because there isn't a lot of low km super6 berlinas and Calais
    The whole purpose of me wanting the super6 is I want it to be a daily car and have a bit more power but also be able to take it out the track and drag strip and have some fun!!

Any thoughts??

2. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    You don't need a supercharged v6 for your first car. Not many p platers could afford the fuel costs anyway. IF you apply for an exemption and are caught doing the wrong thing you'll be in alot of trouble. There's no guarantee you'll get the exemption, and there's a fair bit of paperwork to fill out to prove that the sc v6 is the only car available to you. Then you'll also struggle for insurance as a p plater with that vehicle.

Don't use your daily as a track car, buy a dedicated car for that. The l67 isn't that powerful anyway - even though this is a holden forum, I wouldn't hesitate to go for a bf/fg 6 cylinder - they go well for what they are and are very reliable.

Zehq likes this.
  3. Zehq

Zehq Member

Members Ride:
    2009 VE SV6
    Don't bother, it's too expensive. Just sit on something else till you're on your blacks then get what you really want.

4. Holdenv6Hsvv8

Holdenv6Hsvv8 New Member

Members Ride:
    Yeah I see your point, to much of a hassle for what I'm getting. Thanks guys!

5. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman
    Don't always let logic get in the way of making the decision YOU want. Cars are part emotional decisions at the end of the day so make sure you get what you want not what a forum tells you to. The Barra example mentioned above is good but if you're not into Fords, you'll hate the car and always wish you bought the SC Holden. I remember ripping a brand new supercharged VT onto a freeway in 1997 and still remember how effortless that thing accelerated. The kilowatt count was never high but that torque curve was brilliant.

immortality likes this.
  6. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Legality is the only problem with the l67 for a p plater.

L67's are incredibly torquey right off the bottom, but they flatten out very quickly and feel similar to an ecotec in top end power. I've owned/driven a few, although they've all been dead stock.

7. Holdenv6Hsvv8

Holdenv6Hsvv8 New Member

Members Ride:

if i can find a l67 in a body that is in a reasonable condition for its age and isn't a sports model i will probably grab it i dont think it would be hard getting a lower performance turbo/supercharged engine car exemption because it will be used as my everyday car and transport for getting to and from work and the power is nothing compared to newer cars which is stupid (for example the newer v6s in Holden's range any ware from 170kw to 210 and 340nm+) and they would probably kill a SC v6 stock for stock and plus with the 5/6 speed mans/auto's cant even compare the two.

and yeah the barra is a good engine just i cant stand fords especially the falcons, dont like the look of them. but anyway yeah i know the torque curve is awesome and i would love to throw a good exhaust and extractors with a couple of bolt on's (yes i know it says not modifying of cars on p's but i dont give a ****, better putting money into cars than drugs will be argument) and keep it until I'm off my p's and buy a real beast

8. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    And that is the problem. Dead stock they aren't fantastic but with a few simple mods the fun factor does increase quiet substantially.

IMHO the problem with them running out of puff is a limitation of the breathing as well as the exhaust. On our's with the stock twin into single exhaust it was chocking it bad enough that it would start to ping and pull timing, as soon as I fitted a full twin exhaust system from a V8 it revved out much better and the pcm wasn't pulling timing and we could actually make use of the smaller pulley on the blower. I'm only running a 3.4" pulley but coupled with the other mods I've exceeded the stock MAF's airflow capacity and have moved my shift points down to 5200 rpm until such time as I fit and tune a gen 4 LS MAF :D

9. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    Holden really missed a gem with the L67 , it could have so much more if they didn't strangle it with restricted exhaust and intake .

10. Froltz

Froltz New Member

Members Ride:
    VY S Series II
    I don't know much about Victorian road rules but I would assume if you end up getting your exemption, the second you start modifying the car ie: exhaust system, CAI etc the Police and Vic Roads would be looking at your exemption very closely and possibly revoke it. All the money you would have spent would be for nothing. Plus the added bonus of not being able to drive the car again until you are on your opens.

11. Holdenv6Hsvv8

Holdenv6Hsvv8 New Member

Members Ride:
    Yeah I've decided to give the supersix a bit of miss because I want a ute as I will end up needing it for work so there goes that out the window.
    And regarding mods on the l67 I don't see why that would be a problem when a lot of people put exhausts/Cai's and even cams, diff gears, rockers etc on there p's not specifically supercharged cars but N/A.

Exhausts and Cai I think are ignored a lot of the time unless your car is too loud or your pod is flopping around in the bay and there not going to rip the rocker covers or diff hat to check out what you have done. And even if you have a big cam with a aggressive note I'm convinced that would even be in the too hard basket for them. Unless they can make easy money out of giving you a quick fine they don't give a ****

12. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    As I've said 1000 times. Its not the cops you need to worry about, its whether insurance will cover you in the event of an accident.

Zehq and Froltz like this.
  13. Zeke Topanaga

Zeke Topanaga Active Member

Members Ride:
    HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
    You have to run 95 octane in the supercharged V6 or it just becomes as powerful as a normal V6 and uses a lot more fuel running on 91.
    A lot of dicks only run 91 in their new Turbo Falcons that I have talked to and I pointed out to run 95 or 98 but they never listened and kept using only 91.

I asked the Holden dealer if I could get a new VS V6 supercharged option at the time and he went mental about it, no one would want such a thing and that I was the first to ask such a stupid question, well I thought that the added torque would help and I was just thinking of the point of going down from the V8 to the V6.

14. markalan1two

markalan1two Smile and wave boys !!!!

Members Ride:
    X3 3.0 BMW, Gen F 2 GTS, Holden Captiva seres 2 D
    get a ute do the diff gears and exhaust it will give you nice acceleration for a bit of fun and still be legal.

15. VK SL 3800

VK SL 3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL 5spd
    Put one in my brothers VX sedan with a just a 10psi pulley and std single exhaust, goes better then my STD LS1 V8 one tonner and uses less fuel. NSW they are under the power to weight limit so P plater safe.

16. blackjacknz

blackjacknz Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SV6 Ute
    Used to own a VX S Super 6.....added A2A intercooler, machined snout to run a smaller pulley wheel, exhaust, tune...everything else stock. Ran a best of 13.01 @ around 110mph ..... next up was a diff change...but ended up selling the car. This was back in 2006. Even got it featured in Street Commodores Magazine......

They are a great motor...and that supercharge whine....even the wife loved it. Still tame enough for my 60yr mum to drive it to the shops haha