Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth changing ignition leads?

sprocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec SII
Is it worth replacing whatever Ive got in there at the moment with a high performance kit?

If so what do people recommend? And is there a how-to on installing them, I couldn't find one!

cheers
blake.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
It's probably so easy there isn't a how to required. It's best if you are unsure to replace one lead at a time so you don't get mixed up. The wrong lead on a cylinder will cause some pretty bad missing :p.

Higher tension leads are always better, and if your leads are more than 3-4 years old it's probably best to replace them anyway. A good set is always better, but there's no need to go all out on an ecotec.

vnkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais
i did a DIY service on my car but dismissed the leads, weeks later developed a miss, $125 for an auto service and they told me it was an engine miss and to replace the leads, imagine how annoyed i was. if unsure i would replace them, at best $50 could get you a set and not too hard to change.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
...and if you buy genuine GMH leads, they are individually numbered for each cylinder, so you can't go wrong?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Go genuine.

"High performance leads"? Yeah, been there, done that, would have bought the T-shirt but I spent all my money on leads...

On a stock ignition system you won't notice any difference.

-Michael-

Ooh Yeah.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
I just used the Bosch motorsport ones, $70 from supercheap for the VT V6

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Only change them if you need to, worth doing on hgh performance and lpg where the better leads are needed. Ice Ignition, Scorcher leads are excellent, MSD also worth getting. Bosch are the better of the store leads, but still after chaning few plugs, boots start loosening up.

You will ony gain if the previous leads were missing, worn, and you will only gain to what is originally ran at. Its more a reliability mod, like plugs.