Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth fixing bent frame?

Doug Collingridge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Hi everyone, recently had an accident with my vy spac which wrecked the front end of the car ( bent chassis rail, bent k frame) is it worth trying to fix? The cars got emotional value and I’ve spent a lot of coin on suspension and wheels. can’t find a decent Spac for sale that’s hasn’t been fucked or left with meth baggies under one of the floor mats. Cheers

Attachments

• A2441C20-E331-4F32-80B5-E65D9DB301E6.jpeg
    A2441C20-E331-4F32-80B5-E65D9DB301E6.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 472

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
hmmm nah man let it go keep wheels and suspension take all good bits off it, get another car and add it all on that one

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I’ve spent a lot of coin on suspension and wheels

Stuff that unbolt and bolts onto something else, same with the interior. Bent chassis rail is typically the end of the car unless it's new or worth a lot of dosh. Strip the wreck and put everything good into another one.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Thats cooked. Strip it and use whatever you can on another one.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So I actually work at a place that repairs cars. I'm in a mechanical section but we deal with panel beaters every day.

Firstly it doesn't have a chassis the front rails are made out of panels. It's not a very hard fix if it's just front end damage. If you find a good smash repairer you can grab another car and cut out the sections they need and they'll weld in the new sections.
My dad got his mate to do this on a falcon ute his mate owns and runs a panel shop.

Every single non ute car o the road has the same construction and about 35-40% get repaired with that damage. The cars that hold their value better like toyotas usually get wrote off as they can recover more at auction on those.

Hewlett67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE commodore
They have a monocoque chassis. You cant just cut and weld one on. They have to be picked off a certain spots and rewelded. Rad support needs replacing. Alot of things needs replacing. Not worth it.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Doug

The big question is - what is the status of the vehicle after it was assessed. Is it classified as repairable or not? Not sure about the rules for in the land of banana benders; but in NSW it can't be re-registered if it is a statutory write off, so that should be the first decision point.

I had a similar situation after hitting a roo with our VY SV8; similar damage just to the passenger side. When it was taken to the smash repairers for assessment it didn't even get off the truck. They turned it around and sent it back to us assessed as a non repairable write off. I was able to purchase the ute back from the insurer for $300. For $300 we had access to a drivable car with known issues.

From a $ point of view repairing something that bent and that old, on a simple cost v risk basis, makes it not worthwhile. But it all depends on how much love you have for it and how deep your pockets are.

If it is classified as unrepairable you only have two options. Buy another or buy a project. If you decide on a project you have another two options - a shell or a runner. We found a shell and started ground up - but a runner would have been a better starting point. I would recommend that route to you if you can. It will save you teething problems; like I am currently experiencing with computers etc.

I know what you mean about the quality of vehicles around - I definitely ended up with a ute with meth bags under the seat (literally) as our project car. Having said that the body was straight and despite being painted with a paint brush and rattle can the interior was sound and in reasonable order. From there it is just time, money and love.

A bit long winded - but I trust it helps you with your decision.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..