Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth going 2 S types sealed box to 2 R type ported box

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Neither, go for a better subwoofer, not made by alpine. For the price, they leave a lot to be desired.

If you want to not be bored, I cannot recommend the Image Dynamics IDMAX subwoofer enough. Two of these will blow you away.

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
About the 18inch i still need boot space and i still do like quality that i get that with my s types but would r types be worth the upgrade for quality and bass? (back to the start of the tread)..... Alpine has always been good for me so sticking to it might not be what use think but be s**t if we all had the same ideas.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
More type-s is absolutely not the option, more entry level gear doesn't equal better gear. I'm guessing you want very loud sub bass - fair enough, whatever floats your boat. What sort of budget are you looking at?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
About the 18inch i still need boot space

2 x 12'' is 24'' cone surface area, so what's the difference, the 18 would fit no worries.

It's about the same price as a single Type R, but it will make you realise what looking outside the box can get you. I've installed an IXL 10 in to an Astra, and an IXL 12 into a focus sedan, i haven't found a sub yet for similar money that competes, regardless of the application.

If the remaining two 18's are still in stock in a few months time (they probably won't be) i'll snap them up for HT duties.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 x 12'' is 24'' cone surface area, so what's the difference, the 18 would fit no worries.

It's about the same price as a single Type R, but it will make you realise what looking outside the box can get you. I've installed an IXL 10 in to an Astra, and an IXL 12 into a focus sedan, i haven't found a sub yet for similar money that competes, regardless of the application.

If the remaining two 18's are still in stock in a few months time (they probably won't be) i'll snap them up for HT duties.

Going to be a big box in your living room, best go an IB setup through your wall into your bedroom :p

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Alpine has always been good for me so sticking to it might not be what use think but be s**t if we all had the same ideas.

There's only a minority of people on here who don't think Alpine is the bees knees (mainly due to the fact we are willing to trial other highly respected gear). So you have the same idea of the other idiots who waste their money on sub-par products from alpines speaker/woofer range.

No offence or anything, you just should creep outside of the box, and go with what we advise. IDMAX woofers are said to be far better than the Type X woofers, if that comparison means anything to you. You can pick them up on eBay for roughly $450 from the US. That Mach woofer will satisfy your bass needs a lot more than an Alpine unit will.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There's only a minority of people on here who don't think Alpine is the bees knees (mainly due to the fact we are willing to trial other highly respected gear). So you have the same idea of the other idiots who waste their money on sub-par products from alpines speaker/woofer range.

No offence or anything, you just should creep outside of the box, and go with what we advise. IDMAX woofers are said to be far better than the Type X woofers, if that comparison means anything to you. You can pick them up on eBay for roughly $450 from the US. That Mach woofer will satisfy your bass needs a lot more than an Alpine unit will.

I think the IDmax is overkill in this case, they are an awesome SQL woofer but I don't think it suits the OP's needs very well, its overkill. Something like the Mach 5 18" would be awesome in my opinion, though harder to fit than 2x12" woofers for obvious reasons (though i've seen that exact sub in a VY boot before, no worries)

Before I suggest anything, I'm going to wait for the OP to reply with a budget, and a reason why he is looking to upgrade in the first place.

To the OP:
1. What are you looking for with an upgrade?
2. What box are the subs in at the moment?
3. What amplifier is running them?
4. Is the stereo tuned to its best capability?

It could be as simple as building a box with higher output, or tuning the system some more.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Going to be a big box in your living room, best go an IB setup through your wall into your bedroom :p

Going to be 2 big boxes !! I've built a threatre room, well i'm still going with it. If i get the IXL 18's i'll most likely use one of either side of the room, behind the lounge. They would be in basic ported enclosures for simplicity. If the thread goes no where i'll upload some pics of what i've been up to.