Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth upgrading Headers & cats on VE SSV?

daniel_89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey guys,

Fairly new to performace upgrades so bare with me. Currently have a VE SSV with a 2 1/2" X-Force cat back system. Going to install VCM OTR and get it tuned. Just wondering if its worth upgrading the headers and cats also and then get it tuned? Or is it only worth upgrading them if I plan on doing further work like cam kit etc.? If I do upgrade the headers and cats, what extra power would I be looking at?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Upgrading the headers and cats will be well worth it!
You'll really get a nice pick up in power! Can't really say how much more power, but if you can afford it, do it!

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
It seems to be a common theme on here to do the exhaust on any V8, beware though...once fitted you will be bitten by the mod bug and in your wallet where there was once money there will only be cobwebs.

daniel_89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Upgrading the headers and cats will be well worth it!
You'll really get a nice pick up in power! Can't really say how much more power, but if you can afford it, do it!

Yeah mate that's what I was leaning at too, any headers & cats you can recommend without going out of control on the $$$. I was thinking pacemaker?

daniel_89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
It seems to be a common theme on here to do the exhaust on any V8, beware though...once fitted you will be bitten by the mod bug and in your wallet where there was once money there will only be cobwebs.

Unfortunately for my wallet, the sound and driving feel of the car is just too satisfying haha

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Yeah fair enough, but then you will look around on here and see all the crazy sh** the other guys are doing and see cams/superchargers/turbo's on all their 8's and suddenly you"ve spent another 15k lol

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Pacemaker 4 in 1 are the go. Around 900 retail but you should be able to get them a bit cheaper than that.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Ive got the R8 headers, hi-flow 200cpi cats, otr, tune and make 250rwkw, the headers are the same as the pacemaker tri-y's, havent done catback yet but will be soon, I have J pipes at the rear no resinators, stock system in the middle,sounds good, most gains come from the otr and tune,

etrocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
Personally. Save the money and get a cam. Pacemaker headers plus cat and install is 1400/1800 hpc. Cam is 3k.