Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth upgrading Headers & cats on VE SSV?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Ah, so a muffler guy showed you the inside of an exhaust component and convinced you to buy a better bit from him. Steel versus ceramic perhaps?
Even if he paid you (unlikely), you wouldn't keep a GM Performance part, but would pay a muffler guy... because WHY exactly?
My God man, whatever did you see in that cut up cat that scared you into paying the muffler man more than you needed of your hard-earned?
Whatever it looked like, it was most likely just a big spot of bullshit. Scary but nothing to spread your wallet over.

brad VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV redline wagon
Not sure If it was mentioned but if you go hsv cats/ headers will it bring on the check engine light like other cats/ headers do?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Not sure If it was mentioned but if you go hsv cats/ headers will it bring on the check engine light like other cats/ headers do?

No. Instantly better, no hangover, no droning SUX6000 vacuum cleaner sound, no more worries.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Ah, so a muffler guy showed you the inside of an exhaust component and convinced you to buy a better bit from him. Steel versus ceramic perhaps?
Even if he paid you (unlikely), you wouldn't keep a GM Performance part, but would pay a muffler guy... because WHY exactly?
My God man, whatever did you see in that cut up cat that scared you into paying the muffler man more than you needed of your hard-earned?
Whatever it looked like, it was most likely just a big spot of bullshit. Scary but nothing to spread your wallet over.

Ummmmm...... dude I suggest you upgrade your cat's and tune it before you pass judgement. I have a full vcm system and replacing the holden headers and cats made a massive difference, if you think that HSV is special just because it's hsv then your misguided in my opinion. Yes the headers might make a tiny difference over the cast manifold but the cat's are still factory euro 4/5 400 cell cats. Do you truly believe 100 or 200 cell cats are not beneficial? If you do then I believe you know enough about performance. I'm no genius but the evidence shows me that high flow cats are a major plus. It's not just how many cells are inside which is a joke on its own if you hold it up to direct sunlight you cannot see a thing. Also if you actually get a set of 4-1 headers with cats VCM for example look at the pipe sizes and angles everything flows nicely. the gas on a factory cat has to flow downwards and then across.. so go figure. I haven't been on here long but when I see someone making claims that are simply false then I'll speak up. You claims that I was sucked in by an exhaust guy is pathetic. If high flow cats achieved nothing then why would people sell them?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
No. Instantly better, no hangover, no droning SUX6000 vacuum cleaner sound, no more worries.

I see you also have an xforce exhaust? And claim 620nm at the wheels? And a "modded" orssom otr? I rest my case. Captain half arse.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I had a vcm cat back saved up for the headers and cats it transformed the car. I'm sure many will agree.

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
Just wondering, how much of a restriction is the cats on the SSV? Is there any tangible difference if the stockers were swapped out for something high-flow?

I wouldnt bother unless i was doing Headers as well.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
More power to you if you have too much dough and dont spend it wisely.
Hey if you can demonstrate that I'll get more than 5kw on my 290rwkw by paying an extra $2000 for headers, cats, install, plus $800 tune then of course.
Hey it might work but I doubt it, and there's no way I'm paying $500 per rwkw.
Money, power [and women] are my obsession, but no need to spend good after bad, I'll spend my 2500 bananas on headwork, for around $50 per rwkw gains next.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showpost.php?p=2237539