Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worthy Suspension Mods

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
What else have you guys done to your suspension besides shocks/springs to improve ride quality?
Thinking aftermarket sway bars/bushes etc.
I wanna get my ride the smoothest possible with minimal body roll!
List what you've had done, price, and what affect it had on ride quality. Or what you think would be worthy upgrades.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I wanna get my ride the smoothest possible with minimal body roll!

Tough to get both mate. Minimal body roll means firmer suspension, which doesnt equal smooth.
If you want soft cloud like suspension, stick with stock. But if you want minimal body roll it's aftermarket sports springs and if still not firm enough swaybars and bushes. This s going to affect 'smoothness'. but it's a sliding scale.
The next step would be coilovers... will handle like its on rails, but will also jar on every little bump on the road.

My advice is go with some firmer rate springs first (ie Pedders Sportryders, $600 installed and wheel alignment), and see how you go. Got them in my wagon and very happy with them. Swaybars and bushes would be your next step, and should cost about the same again.

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
Along these lines. I have to replace some bushes in my suspension due to tyres wearing unevenly and wheel alignments not holding.

I'm wondering what is the best choice for bushes with regards to NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness).

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to use rubber bushes over polyurethane?

Also I seem to remember many moons ago that you could get differing degrees of hardness of poly bushes, to alleviate some of the noise and harshness that comes with using them but get better life out of your bushes than rubber.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Along these lines. I have to replace some bushes in my suspension due to tyres wearing unevenly and wheel alignments not holding.

I'm wondering what is the best choice for bushes with regards to NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness).

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to use rubber bushes over polyurethane?

Also I seem to remember many moons ago that you could get differing degrees of hardness of poly bushes, to alleviate some of the noise and harshness that comes with using them but get better life out of your bushes than rubber.

I've heard super pro to be a very good brand, there soft while cruising but when you drive it hard they feel just as good as nolathane, it's something like that.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L

This one's easy.... stick with rubber!
The main reason holden use rubber is because it's cheaper, but the side benefit is that it provides less feedback through the suspension components... equals less "NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness)".
I myself love the responsiveness and tigher feel that can be gained by upgrading the stock item, but for what you are looking to achieve you should stay with rubber.
And even a soft plastic is going to be harder than rubber, so I wouldnt put too much weight into claims that harshness can be eliminated with different poly bushes.
If you want extra durability, pretty sure you can get rubber ones with steel insert sleeves or something to get extra life out of them. But least you still get the shock absorbing qualities of rubber.