Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wot do i need to respray

85_VK_EFI

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Berlina EFI
Hi all, i have a silver VK (im pretty sure that the it is asteroid silver) i have front and rear bumpers that are a different colour to the rest of the car (and the rubber strip that goes accross the middle of the car but i dont know wot its called lol)
So i want to match the bumpers to the rest of the car, i just had the boot lid, the roof and the hood respayed about a year ago tops the rest of the body is in great contion (physically and the paint)
I think that i will need to get a spray gun (i do have an air compressor are there any attachments for that) i will need to get the matching paint but i dont where i can get it or how much to get and im pretty sure that its 2pac.
Do u think that it would be cheaper to go to a wreckers and have a look for matching bumpers?
If i choose to respray it would be a lot cheaper than taking it to a pro wouldnt it.
About how much do u guys think it would cost to do it myself and how much to have it done professionally.
Thanx any help would be much appreciated.

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Yes you can get spray guns that plug into the air comp. Get a gravity fed gun, although I like the normal guns (the tin on the bottom of the gun)

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
i would always check the local wreckers for cheapies 1st, some can be in real good nick too..

u will need the air compressor, gun, prob 4ltrs of paint and also someone who knows what thier doing when it comes to spray painting, i wanted to do it myself too untill i was told that unless i had expirience on either crap metal or practiced on something to get used to the spray...

if ur comfortable and think ur up to it, then thats about all you need, oh and yeah tape up all **** so u dont have to worry about over spray...!

85_VK_EFI

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Berlina EFI
Thanx guys for ur help i think i will check out the wreckers first and then ill price around for getting it sprayed professionally

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
4L of paint is heaps.....if ur just doing ur bumpers and the side pieces, 2L would be heaps. And I'd suggest using acrylic, as 2pack is suppose to be sprayed in a booth, otherwise it's illegal, plus it has heaps of chemicals in it which require u to wear special masks and stuff. 2pack also dries slower, so if ur doing it urself it would have to be in a spot with stuff all wind coz as it dries slower a lot more crap will stick to it as it dries.

Acrylic dries quicker, so would be more suitable.

If u decided to do it, buy 2L of primer, 2L of paint, 2L of clear, and a 4L tin of thinners should be enough. Oh and a tin of prepsol.

Pull ur bumpers and side strips off, then give them a light sand all over with sandpaper, 240 grit minimum...just give it a rough sand to ruff up the surface. Then put ur bumpers and side strips on a stand, or where ever ur gonna paint them, then rub the whole lot over with prepsol on a rag or cloth (make sure its clean).

Then mix up ur primer and thinners, do a coat over everything. Wait for it to dry (an hour or 2 should be fine) then give it another light sand (use 500 grit minimum) just to smooth off any roughness from the primer. Then mix up ur paint and thinners and do as many coats as u want. Leave it a while in between coats, say about 15 mins, some people give it a sand in between coats with really fine sandpaper, like 1500 grit or sumfin...just to get rid of any roughness and overspray. Then when ur happy with it, mix up the clear and chuck some coats of that on about an hour of so after the paint.

The tins of paint and stuff u buy should tell u how much it needs to be thinned down. A few weeks ago I was spraying the inside of my brothers glovebox and my Mum's grill, and when I put the clear on, it shot out like a spiderweb.....lucky I first did my brothers glovebox, coz Mum would of been pissed off if I stuffed up her grill haha.....but apparently that's caused by not enuf thinners.

That's just a rough guide, if u need any more help just ask. I'm no expert, I'm just a beginner myself.

Cheers,
Danny

85_VK_EFI

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Berlina EFI
Thanx man that help heaps roughly how much do u think it would cost to get everything?
I think i will go to wreckers though and look for some bumpers in good condition and spray them that way if i screw it up i still have the originals on.

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
ive got my entire mx6 painted in the ford xr6 turbo pearlescent purple for $380.

inside and out. all over. including clear. and i used ONE litre of paint to do it.
so whoever said you need 2L of paint to paint a bumper bar .... dont open a spraypainting business!

oh .. all in 2K with fast hardener and standox clear...

your bars should cost no more than $200 .. in fact id paint them at my work for about $200 depending on the condition they're in and how much repair work needs doing.

85_VK_EFI

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Berlina EFI
The condition of the bumpers is almost perfect just scratches here and there