Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

would a VK be better

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
would a VK be better to have than a VL
the VK was the model befoire and had the last of the 202 aussie 6cyl motors, but it was much less complicated wasnt it?
no computer and not nearly as many sensors.....
however it did have less power and used more petrol, premium unleaded and the additive now
wouldnt a VK be cheaper to keep going as basic transport?

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
harry3 said:
would a VK be better to have than a VL
the VK was the model befoire and had the last of the 202 aussie 6cyl motors, but it was much less complicated wasnt it?
no computer and not nearly as many sensors.....
however it did have less power and used more petrol, premium unleaded and the additive now
wouldnt a VK be cheaper to keep going as basic transport?

No mate, i think the VL is gonna be cheaper to run.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah cheaper on fuel and it is more complicated but it also will let you know when somethign is wrong and you can get it fixed early rather than knowing when somethign it wrong by funny noises from the engine bay.

it wont break down as much and will cost you less on fuel, more power, but alot of people like the vk look more.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
although ive heard alot of claims im yet to see a 202 that goes any good! my mates carby 1.6 pulsar hatch blew off another mates vh 202 god we still give him sh1t a year later

GLD-086

Reaction score
Sorry to say, but the RB30 is about 10 years ahead of the old 202.

Not to say that the 202 is crap (The old blue ones were tough as guts) they are just very outdated, compared to the RB30.

VLs aren't complicated. Infact, they're pretty easy to work with.

I've always heard that the black 202s, in the VKs were rubbish. Is that true?

Stewart1000 said:
but alot of people like the vk look more.

Yeah I think the VK Calais looks really nice, but IMO they're just a VH with plastic bumpers.

Last edited:

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
depends which one you get...

I had a black 202 Torquer engine in my VK, and she went fukn nuts, used to beat my mates 253 manual VC and other mates auto 253 HX kingy... Also used to lose traction and skid for about 10-20 metres with no brake (yes, on good tread, 205 15inch pursuits...)

engne wise NEVER had an issue, and I FLOGGED crap out of the poor girl, I did have one of the last ones before they had EFI... It DID have a spark timing computer and the dizzy was a weird ass hybrid type electronic one... (had to order in from sydney the rotor button and module)

for the punishment I gave the girl, I had relatively few issues, mainly carbie problems with the needle and seat on the shitebox varajet, dizzy parts, and gearbox (mainly due to my driving method... : ) but kept me mobile for 3.5 years, and had her serviced once...

i wish i still had her... stupid idiot... lol

Seriously though, LOOK at the VK's.. they are all HAWT! VL lights look like sleepy and female, VK front's look mean and tough! :) MHO though, everyone else can bite me! :)

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
consider yourself bitten ;)