Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would converting my Holden VY S II from Automatic to Manuakl make a difference?

VYHOLDEN11

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s Series 2
Im planning on converting my vy s pac to a manual, would i gain more speed or be able to go faster by doing so? Also im planning on getting a new lsd diff

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
nope, won't make it go much faster. perhaps slower depending how good you are with the gears and clutch.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
A manual car is much more drivable than auto I've found. If you like cornering and looking for twisty roads the Manual may be a good conversion. In a straight line an auto will generally get power down better and of course gears can't be shifted faster than an auto too

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm with the others, it may not be faster depending on your skills but it will be a damn sight more fun. Although I would think that if your decent with a manual box/clutch you can rival a factory standard slush box as they have some fairly sloppy shifts.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Get more Kws to the rear wheels with a manual, less drivetrain loss from engine to the wheels

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
put a shift kit in ?

a lot cheaper.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
The amount of kws at the flywheel is always larger than the figure at the wheels due to the engine having to work to turn the gearbox driveshaft diff etc an auto sucks up more of that power than a manual does with torque converter slippage etc

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
The amount of kws at the flywheel is always larger than the figure at the wheels due to the engine having to work to turn the gearbox driveshaft diff etc an auto sucks up more of that power than a manual does with torque converter slippage etc

slippage... if your torque converter is "slipping" youll need to replace it.

dyno figures (which are a fictional magic line on a graph showing a fictional magic number) are often lower when a big stall converter is fitted. other than that there is ZERO difference to power between a manual and an auto.

inb4 "parasitic losses BSBSBSBS"

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Actually ari, all converters slip. The only time a converter doesn't slip is if you have a late model car that is fitted with a lock up converter and generally the lock up function is only used during cruise......

vr304 is also correct that manual transmissions tend to show a higher rwkw number simply because they have less parasitic losses than an auto transmission. A manual transmission generally have less rotating mass and an automatic has to drive a hydraulic pump which is also going to suck a little power. On the flip side an auto trans equipped vehicle has the benefit of torque multiplication you get from a torque converter.