Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would Holden be selling these ? HSV bimodal intake chat

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Probably not much point either, I think the bimodal was supposedly to increase top end power without decreasing low down torque, within the limits of type approval testing and emissions. You can see the intake status on the EDI in my car, but I've yet to hear/feel a difference...

I'd imagine an OTR/larger intake + tune would do much more.
I believe that is the theory about low down torque and high end power and being the gullible type the theory does have some merit marginal as it maybe I also think it's a pretty cool thing and keeps everything stock looking

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Probably not much point either, I think the bimodal was supposedly to increase top end power without decreasing low down torque, within the limits of type approval testing and emissions. You can see the intake status on the EDI in my car, but I've yet to hear/feel a difference...

I'd imagine an OTR/larger intake + tune would do much more.

I plan to tune it once out of warranty but prefer factory look and ease of filter replacing/cleaning to otr set-ups. Also dont want my radiator moved. I prefer factory mounting :) The limitations of HSV air intake setup vs otr when tuned are probably negligible anyway...

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I plan to tune it once out of warranty but prefer factory look and ease of filter replacing/cleaning to otr set-ups. Also dont want my radiator moved. I prefer factory mounting :) The limitations of HSV air intake setup vs otr when tuned are probably negligible anyway...
I would think the bimodal air intake would supply more than enough air for all but the real high horsepower cars and yes I could drill a hole in the standard airbox or intake tube but not really my thing

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I would think the bimodal air intake would supply more than enough air for all but the real high horsepower cars and yes I could drill a hole in the standard airbox or intake tube but not really my thing

I think you are right
I installed the airbox with the bimodal intake and comparison pictures here #112 show the difference in size. No doubt the HSV version allowes more air than the standard airbox

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual

I can appreciate the desire to keep factory look. I was impressed by the solution for tilting the radiator in the install video I watched. Looks like a simple way to let the OTR breath without impacting rad cooling. Can always return to stock too.

I quite like the OTR look, seems a lot more neat and tidy than the big elbow pipe.

The clubby has plenty of big grills (the intake above the numberplate is massive!) so would hopefully keep nice and cool.

TSMAX on here got some good numbers out of his OTR and tune, so I'm sorely tempted.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I think you are right
I installed the airbox with the bimodal intake and comparison pictures here #112 show the difference in size. No doubt the HSV version allowes more air than the standard airbox
So is the flap itself controlled with vaccum or electrically

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Electrically by the looks of it...
I am definitely not good with electrics ( the smoke always leaks out ) but I would think it would not be to hard to hook up to bimodal exhaust?? Could someone please chime in

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Apologies Ron if I side tracked your thread it was not intentional
Nah man. All good. I got my answer quickly. Would be good to see if this could be done on non hsv commodores...But for me...i am happy to have it open all the time...