Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would putting stock springs in a lowered Ute help

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
My VS Ute is lowered and it had 17 inch rims that made it fell every bump on the road so I put stock 15 inch rims on for more tyre between the road and the car and its a lot better but if I was to change the lowered springs and shocks/struts to stock non lowered would I notice a big difference? I dont know what type of springs are in it now if you want a picture with the wheels off let me know but I have a side pic of the Ute below. I also have a VS sedan with stock springs is the sedan and Ute parts swappable or do I have to buy some sort of kit? I noticed on the Ute when I was changing the bump stops that on the rear drivers side the 17 inch wheel that was on it before must of been scraping on the inside well behind where the wheel sits I was reading that if you lower a Ute it needs a bar of some sort to adjust the diff from moving from being lowered I'll take a pic later but what is the bar and where is it located, the guy I bought it from might not have installed it. One last question about springs is would you recommend stock or is there a higher/longer spring to raise it up more.

Attachments

• VS Ute cropped.jpg
    VS Ute cropped.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 79
  • VS Sedan croped.jpg
    VS Sedan croped.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 69

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A lowered ute needs an adjustable panhard to re-centre the diff. Ute requires ute springs and shocks. Those yellow springs (most likely Kings) are about the worst money can buy. A standard height Lovells spring set for a ute will be so much better. I had shocking springs and the Lovells I now have are a beautiful thing.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It's a workhorse will still have noiser & slightly harsher ride compared to sedans but yeah 15's with decent sidewall helps as well as some factory fe2 springs & new shocks.

These days can get cheap adjustable panhards almost for price of new bushes then align rear end yourseld with tape measure to stop tyres rubbing.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Losh1971 where did you get your Lovells from and do you think a longer spring would be better than stock

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It depends what is in the ute now and how flogged out it is. Your shocks could be 15 years old and ready for landfill. Pics would help.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Here is a picture of the rear spring it has Monroe shocks in the back I haven't looked at the front yet

Attachments

• 20210206_223445.jpg
    20210206_223445.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 96

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Losh1971 where did you get your Lovells from and do you think a longer spring would be better than stock

Super Spares, tell them you want Lovells as they might try and sell you Kings, as they tried on me. Even though they will agree that Lovells are a better spring. Couple that with some KYBs and the difference will be night and day. I run 225/50 16s and standard height Lovells with KYBs and it is a ton better than factory springs with Monroes. You could even go the one lower as standard height in lovells does sit about 10mm higher at the rear than I'd like, which surprisingly pushes the front down and makes driveways hard to get up at times.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Here is a picture of the rear spring it has Monroe shocks in the back I haven't looked at the front yet
Ok so the springs are yellow so they're probably king springs.
The shocks are black, I wonder if they are still the original Holden Monroe's. Can you see any brand labels on the shocks or writing stamped near the bottom? Might have to wipe it clean with a wet rag.