Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would there be much of a market for a VC 202?

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I am tossing up whether to fix the VC SL 202 auto which we have had for around 14 years, the starter motor is playing up so it has become un-reliable.
I managed to get out the starter motor bolts today only to discover that the extractors are in the way and there is no room to move the starter motor back to remove it. So I either put the bolts back in that I removed or pull off the extractors and inlet manifold and associated bits and hope the exhaust will move back enough to get the starter out, the whole exhaust from the motor to tail pipe is one piece ie: all welded joints. Or I just get rid of it ie: sell it. Not sure what sort of market there would be for a VC SL 202 auto.
Car is quite nice to drive, it has power steering and air (air no working) and has been maintained well all its life. 230,000km.
Just not sure if I can be bothered pulling it down when I have the VX SS to drive. Then I think of the 2 regos and 2 insurances not sure which way to jump. It is too good to send to the wreckers but don't know how hard to sell it would be either. There are a few little items that need work but nothing major. Went through a police breatherlizer/roadworthy check the other day and they let it through after a pretty thorough check so I guess that was a good indication that it is roadworthy, they had a few cars canaried at the time.

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
sounds like a nice car lad, got any pics you can throw up

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
well done on the look over from the police, some can be really hard and will (try) and find anything wrong. i have a vb 202 and its my pride and joy, i have the same problem with my starter and extractors. i had a few started motors myself all we do is undo all the usual stuff and move the extractors not very far thou, lol, but the last one thats gone in, the other half found that there is after market one that can be fitted (im fairly sure) with the extractors still in place i compared them before he put it in and it is alot smaller than the old ones. i have had my vb for about 5yrs and its a slow work in progress ive rebuild the motor (with alittle help) its got peter jackson straight cut gears its been bored 30thou, 2/5 inch exhaust, extractors, blue 2 barrel on it, lowered, at the moment changing vb brown vinyl interior to vl calais sereis 2, just finished putting keyless entry on it. you dont see many of the old girls on the road anymore it would be a shame to send to the wreckers also there would be someone willing to pay for a oldie and the p platers are always a good bet to buy a car like her. good luck on what you decide

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).

Attachments

• VC1.jpg
    VC1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
looks very very nice straight? some1 would buy that for sure.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
well done on the look over from the police, some can be really hard and will (try) and find anything wrong. i have a vb 202 and its my pride and joy, i have the same problem with my starter and extractors. i had a few started motors myself all we do is undo all the usual stuff and move the extractors not very far thou, lol, but the last one thats gone in, the other half found that there is after market one that can be fitted (im fairly sure) with the extractors still in place i compared them before he put it in and it is alot smaller than the old ones. i have had my vb for about 5yrs and its a slow work in progress ive rebuild the motor (with alittle help) its got peter jackson straight cut gears its been bored 30thou, 2/5 inch exhaust, extractors, blue 2 barrel on it, lowered, at the moment changing vb brown vinyl interior to vl calais sereis 2, just finished putting keyless entry on it. you dont see many of the old girls on the road anymore it would be a shame to send to the wreckers also there would be someone willing to pay for a oldie and the p platers are always a good bet to buy a car like her. good luck on what you decide

When you replaced your starter motor did you have to move the extractors back much to allow room to get the starter out, all the exhaust on this is welded to the extractors so not sure how much movement will be there if I do decide to try and pull it apart, don't want to go to all the trouble and find I still don't have enough room to get it out.

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
mate I would buy that SL for sure. Its im immaculate condition, and u dont find them like that anymore. I think they are a classic next year

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
drewie- it i guess would really depend on your extractors how do they bend? how far do they come off the motor towards the side in engine bay and drop down? my extractors i think came off the other halfs torana,its also all welded one piece,but when we do take the stuff off there is a little bit of movement,enough to get the starter out. i reckon you could ask a bit for it coz it look really good, but i personally would just hang on fix up the little that needs doing.