Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would this be classed as a write-off?

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Hey guys,

the misses and I just got rear ended by a big 'ol patrol into the rear of her little lancer, just looking for some opinions on whether it will be a write-off or not. realise its hard from just a couple of photos, but maybe somebody has had similar damage and say if it went one way or the other...

just got home from the doctors, gave us the all clear, but it was a pretty big hit, and a heavy ARB steel bullbar into the lil lancer is never going to end well....

happy friday 13th i guess! :p

PS: if this is the wrong forum section, please move.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
did it bend the roof? what year model is the car?

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
2010 my11 from memory.

It's bent the roof only where the hatch has pushed forward into it, so along that back edge is buckled slightly

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I'd take a stab at yes she's a write off. Looks like the quarters are damaged, hatch is toast, roof and possibly floor.
Word of warning regarding your back, I got rear ended some time ago when I was in my late teens. Felt ok at the time but some years later I started having back problems, got checked out and it was traced to that accident. Apparently my back did suffer some minor damage but it took years for it to cause problems.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Thanks mate, Ye we went doctors for two reasons, to get checked out make sure we were ok, but also so it's recorded that we went on the same day as the accident.
We both feel pretty fine this morning thankfully. Would you suggest we do anything else at this point incase there are unknown injuries?

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Any other panel beaters/people in the know have any idea if they'll fix or write off?

About to get on the phone to insurance and get the process going....

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Ha! Hell no! I just want to go to insurance with a high confidence that THEY will write it off, if they offer to fix it I'll be disappointed.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The only real way to know if it is a write off or not, is for a panel beater to look at it in person. There maybe some other damage that has been missed.

I saw a 2002 Mazda twin cab ute that got smacked up the rear end....Slight kink in the rear chassis, the towbar stuffed, dented tailgate.....Initial inspection by the assessor classed it as a write off Damage was $3500 give or take....Took it to the panel beaters and it was repaired as they said the value of it was $5,000.....Repair costs was $3,400

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Well its going to panel shop/assessor tomorrow morning....
been doing some reading that damage needs to be 75-80% cost of payout to be considered a write-off, I'm not too confident it will be that much damage (in $$ terms), but at the same time i have no idea what repairs like this will cost.

secondly, being the misses car, she is taking it to the body shop for the assessment, should i go? do they pray on non-car minded females?